Mariadb & Kodi centralised database set-up

Engineerpeter

Dabbler
Hi, I;ve just upgraded from FreeNAS to truenas, and whilst everything came across without any hick-ups, my MySQL database didn't work properly. I've removed this and saw that there is a MariaDB-server plugin.

Following these instructions - https://kodi.wiki/view/MySQL/Setting_up_MySQL#tab=FreeNAS_and_freeBSD

I'm trying to secure the installation, but when I hit enter to then change the password, I get this error;-

Error 1045 (28000): Access denied for user root'@'localhost (using password: NO)

What really obvious thing / command am I missing?? have spent the last few days looking for a solution, but I'm coming up blank! Are there any better instructions for me??

Many thanks

Engineerpeter

Dabbler
sorry, forgot to say am running version 15.1 distribution 10.5.17 MariaDB for FreeBSD 12.3 and TrueNAS-12.0-U8.1 if that makes a difference?

Alecmascot

Guru
If no password is set then the command is : mysql -u root -p
Is that what you used ?
The instructions you referenced look fine.

Alecmascot

Guru
OK. I usually have a few goes before it works ...!!!
Trash the jail and recreate.
Install mariadb with pkg and do not secure it.
Can you login now ?

Create the jail, substitute your IPs and name and release :
iocage create -n mariadb ip4_addr="vnet0|10.10.0.41/24" defaultrouter="10.10.0.1" vnet="on" boot="on" -r 12.2-RELEASE -b

conpat

Cadet
Hello everyone, I am a complete newcomer to Truenas and also "Linux, FreeBSD". I have now installed a Truenas as a replacement for a Windows server on a supermicroserver with 36Bay with the intention to use this for Kodi.
I use Truena's Core and was able to install everything and make it work. Now I want to install mariadb and use it for kodi as a central SQL.

Now for me, the path of cluelessness begins: I have installed the app mariadb from the community collection and now I also see a email with the name "mariadb-kodi", for info I have made a separate pool for the APPS. and now I do not know further, I have already read so many Google entries, but no one is traceable for a beginner like me.

I hope very much here for the knowledge and support of the Trunas fans here.