Map Network Drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomcatfixer

Cadet
Just installed 9.1.1 and am trying to get to the point where I can actually store data on my NAS.
I can type \\freenas in my Win7 Windows Explorer and see the shared drive/folder (whatever), but I can't open it or map it because doing so causes Windows Explorer to crash and restart every time. I have a guest account set up with 'disable password login' checked, so if I understand this right, I should be able to login with the user name 'guest' and no password. Trying to do so from Windows Explorer results in the aforementioned crash.
Thoughts?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Sounds like a problem with your Windows box to be honest. I've never heard of this issue before. As to how to troubleshoot it your guess is as good as mine.

Anything in the logs for FreeNAS?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
No problems here
cwDswTa.png

Nomad

Contributor
This is how I setup my shares.. I don't require login for my public shares.

Attachments

• One.PNG
    One.PNG
    26.3 KB · Views: 867
  • two.PNG
    two.PNG
    28.9 KB · Views: 816
  • three.PNG
    three.PNG
    32 KB · Views: 703

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
i actually have all of my CIFS shares configured for no user account at all. logins are dumb unless you are on a network that you dont have control of all the machines/users

Nomad

Contributor
i actually have all of my CIFS shares configured for no user account at all. logins are dumb unless you are on a network that you dont have control of all the machines/users

I don't. It's called Girlfriend, Roomates, Friends that come over.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I don't. It's called Girlfriend, Roomates, Friends that come over.

my wife and kid wouldnt know where to look for files on our network anyway, i have a login script for them that maps their drives for them to the stuff they want access to. for the really important stuff that needs to stay hidden, NFS or iSCSI. lol.

JimPhreak

Contributor
No problems here
cwDswTa.png

Pirate, any specific reason why you setup separate datasets for each media category (TV, Movies, Music, etc.) instead of just one? I'm in the process of mapping out how best to organize my own media which has me curious.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Pirate, any specific reason why you setup separate datasets for each media category (TV, Movies, Music, etc.) instead of just one? I'm in the process of mapping out how best to organize my own media which has me curious.
My music is on one box. My movies and tv are on another. Until recently my movies and tv shows were split among different raidz pools. Soon I will be condensing even more as I have some new servers waiting to be installed and data transferred.

JimPhreak

Contributor
My music is on one box. My movies and tv are on another. Until recently my movies and tv shows were split among different raidz pools. Soon I will be condensing even more as I have some new servers waiting to be installed and data transferred.

Oh ok that makes sense. How did you go about setting the specific sizes for your data sets on the same box (say TV shows and Movies on BLACKHOLE)? Did just reserve the space or set a quota? And what are the advantages/disadvantages of settings/not setting that reserved space amount? It looks like you can't increase/decrease the amount of reserved space after creating your datasets which is why I'm asking.

EDIT: Nvmd I found where you can change the quota sizes.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I don't set any reservations or quotas. I am just using a default dataset configuration.

MtK

Patron
it reads it in relation to the entire pool's size (that's a ZFS thing).

in cli type: zfs list
u'll see that the total free size is always the same (assuming you didn't set quotas)

JimPhreak

Contributor
it reads it in relation to the entire pool's size (that's a ZFS thing).

in cli type: zfs list
u'll see that the total free size is always the same (assuming you didn't set quotas)

Sweet. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.