What is up with CIFS in version 9.3 - 20151212

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen Man

Cadet
I have used FreeNAS for a couple of years. The last install before this one version was 9.3 20150905. I think the CIFS was more predictable then,

I want to have a guest share

I created a dataset in the top of the ZFS array called /mnt/array01/sharethis
I set user with the default privs and with Windows privs to say shareuser

User shareuser, in group sharegroup.

I verify the acl using getfacl on that directory and the group and user have read and write privilege.

I go to services and i set the guest user as "shareuser" the NIS name , I allow passwordless logins.

One thing I notice is that the CIFS service can not be turned off.
I also notice that the Domain (right underneith) is ON. and if I disable it, CIFS is disabled.

So I setup the share, I allwo Guest access on the share on dataset above.

I even restart the samba_server
$>service samba_server restart

I try to map network drive to that directory \\hostname\shared from a Windows 7 Pro machine and it connects without a password, I then disconnect and try to map again and a password is requested.

I try another Windows 7 Pro to the same driectory and I get a login prompt. I select "user another account" and I enter "shareuser" and the password that I set in the "Account->User" section.

no luck

So then I read that I should see if the users are in the samba database

So I do based on instructions here
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/user-authentication-problem-with-samba-shares.38486/

$>pdbedit -L
and I don't see shareuser listed

so I add them with a password
$>pdbedit -u -a shareuser
set the password

I am able to map network drive. I do this for the 10+ Windows machines. I am willing to accept that I have to enter in a username and password for the share, event though it is the guest account.

After a couple of hours, the shares are lost with the Win 7 boxes getting "Network path is missing"

Not all boxes, but most boxes - I have 10 -12 to connect.

I disconnect the mount and try to re-map- same problem.

Then I restart the samba server on the FreeNAS box.
$>service samba_server restart

And the PCS are able to re-connect.

But the map fails about every 8 hours or so.

We never had any issues with the Terastation we are replacing.

We then went through the same process with another dataset, and another CIFS share, We set the privs for the same user and group as the original share.

We can mount this second share, but read only. even after restarting samba. We then set "Allow Guest Only" and "Allow guest" for the share and then we can get write access.

We try doing this to other shares and users we create and we can't connect. Probably client issues there.

So the big question is - what changed in this version I just downloaded and how can I troubleshoot this???
How can I get a passwordless mount,

I do not have a domain controller, why can't I disable it on the services menu?
I still would like to know how to trouble shoot these things.

How is ACL different in this version?

Should I just get the previous FreeNAS version to get this to work? We went back to the Terastation.

What SAmba tweaks are out there so the connections aren't lost.

Zen Man

Cadet
After the latest dropped connections, got the message in dmesg

pid 2145 (samba), uid 0: exited on signal 6 (core dumped)

Zen Man

Cadet
Well multiple PC's are able to connect after the update. They still need to use a username and password, no guest access.

After about 20 minutes, the connects gets disconnected, they have to click on it to connect again.

But it's workable.

Zen Man

Cadet
We updated with the new version of freenas on Jan 17 2015, now connections are lost within minutes, most PCS cannot connect anymore. The NAS isn't even broadcasting for Network Neighborhood anymore. WE rebooted and did everything in the forums. This aggravated the customer and they remedied the situation by firing us and bringing in someone else, they set up a QNap system in parallel and fixed everything. I think people show have a great working knowledge of Samba 4 before using this version, like from the command line. We learned.

Status
Not open for further replies.