Guest Sharing not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

buffaloeb23

Cadet
I am a newbie and I am having trouble setting up Windows share. I could not get a share set up using a password for the user. So I read all the documentation and went through as many threads as I could. After doing that I decided to set up a guest share because it did not require a password. I followed the documentation and set up the guest account. Windows is able to see the guest account. However when I try to map a network drive I get a message that says "Specified Network Name not Available". If I try just to click on the folder i get the same error message. Any assistance would appreciated.

matlock

Contributor
When you configure the share and cifs- are you checking the box to allow guest access?

For the folder you've created- you should be able to discover this folder if you open "computer" (assuming your on windows 7) on the left side under network- you should see your Freenas box- clicking it- you'll see your shares.

This will also clarify what the share path is so you can map a drive.

That helpful?

buffaloeb23

Cadet
I double checked and made sure that the box for allowing guest access is checked. I can navigate to the Freenas Box from "Computer" and I can see the folders. The problem is when I try to either expand the folder or map a network drive. I then get the error message "Specified Network Name not Available". This is true for both my Win7 and WinXP boxes

matlock

Contributor
I hope i dont get to wordy here and confusing- so let me know if i lose you...

Your map network drive should be as follows \\hostname\cifs share name\zfs dataset name

assuming you used zfs datasets to make your folders-
so in my setup... a mapped network drive is \\freenas\data\pictures or \\freenas\data\downloads

-Matlock

matlock

Contributor
I'd also like to mention that you have to enable guest sharing in two places- under the CIFS share that you create as well in the services tab- the cifs 'wrench' is a place to allow guest access

Status
Not open for further replies.