SOLVED CIFS shares; One with User, one with Guest

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilZJ81

Explorer
Hello everyone,

I saw the tutorials on how to map a drive and have different shares with different users. However, what I'm trying to setup is 1 share that's completely open (allow guest, owner is 'nobody') and the other one is a bit tighter with a "ShareUser" account that I created. I also created a group called ShareAdmin to which the ShareUser belongs.

So the problem is, once I connect to the network share with the ShareUser credentials, checking the connect using different credentials, it won't let me empty out the username / password fields.

I tried using a username of nobody or BNAS\nobody, but to no avail. (BNAS is the name of my FreeNAS box)

thanks
-Phil

PhilZJ81

Explorer
Did you delete the cached credentials first using the "net use" command as described towards the bottom of http://doc.freenas.org/9.10/freenas...enticated-access-without-a-domain-controller?
I was hoping there's a way to map the drives, so that I can have both open simultaneously, and perhaps copy data from 1 share to the other too.

For example I plan on having a "photos" album in each share, but one will only be a subset, so some pictures I'll copy in both, some only in just 1.

My setup is as such
Share1 : Single disk (a dataset, with currently 3 child datasets for Photos, movies and misc)
Share2: 6x6tb RaidZ2 array (a dataset with 5 child datasets)

So basically Share2 will be my 'safezone' where a user is needed to access, and Share1 is open to whoever is on my home network.

So, I'd like to be able to map those drives and connect to one or both.

Should I add the "ShareUser" that I created to the 'wheel' group? That way he also has access?

If there's a better way to set this up let me know. Also, what's the best way to copy data from a dataset to another dataset within FreeNAS?

thanks in advance!

Last edited:

PhilZJ81

Explorer
If you only need to use two user accounts try mapping one drive by hostname "\\bnas\foo" and another drive by ip-address "\\<ip-address>\bar". This should allow you to use different credentials.

That said, I think it's better to just use a single user account and configure permissions accordingly. See here: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...-of-how-to-configure-share-permissions.35276/

I am married, and hope to remain that way. I don't want to deal with the wife's' "WATDYAMEAN IT NEEDS A PASSWORD".

Anyways, I added "SharedUser" to both 'wheel' and 'nobody' groups and it seems to be working fine.
-Tried with a computer with cleared credentials, he can only get into the 'Share1' which is the one with 'nobody' as owner, but can't get into 'Share2' which belongs to ShareUser
-Tried with a computer that has ShareUser credentials, and read and write to both shares.

Status
Not open for further replies.