Map Network Drive using Different Credentials

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher Joyson

Contributor
Hi

I have been using Freenas for Almost 8 months now with just open access,as its a home computer, however I would like to now share folders with User names.
I have created a media folder shared it with CIFS and have the User name Chris with the Folder "Media" as a home directory.
However when I want to Map the network Drive,as per the IXstems example on YouTube Frenas@ 9.2.1.8 Transmission Plugin" I cannot seem to be able to get the username correct.
Am I using the right convention?
My Work group is "WORKGROUP" Freenas is "FREENAS"my user name is Chris I enter

WORKGROUP\\FREENAS\Chris in as the user and then my password then the result is the sign in box again with my original laptop sign on name.

I have tried just "Chris" and "\\FREENAS\Chris"all for the same result- where am I going wrong?

Sorry to Sound like a complete Dummy - But I take it that I am!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Create datatsets and set their owners.
Share them via CIFS.
Access the shares from Windows (keep in mind that Windows will auto-login with currrent credentials and will not allow you to try a different user if the Windows credentials are accepted by the server).
Set permissions from Windows.
Profit!

Christopher Joyson

Contributor
Hi Eric
I've done all that; it is the password and user format I windows I am lacking!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It should be just like you input it on the server. No more, no less.

Erwin

Dabbler
When you map a network drive from a Windows PC, your will first need to specify \\server\share
e.g. \\FREENAS\Media < just verify that you use the right share name of your freenas box

In the case that you have different Account settings (Username and Password) on the freenas box and the connection Windows PC, just check the box "Connect using different credentials" in the Map Network Drive window on the PC. Then you will be forced to enter the credentials of the freenas account in the Windows Security popup window on the PC. It will either propose your currently used Username on the PC or you can say to use complete different credentials.

e.g.
Chris
chrispassword

That should be all.

Eric mentioned an important point, which could cause problems:

In the case that you have already connected a CIFS share of a specific server, then the Windows PC won't accept any different credentials when you try to connect to an additional CIFS share of the same server.
e.g.
\\FREENAS\Media < access via user Chris
\\FREENAS\Backups < access via user Backup

the error message will be something like "the network folder is currently mapped using a differnet user name and password"

If it is necessary, that you want to have access with different user names, e.g. one to get read only access to your photos, and one to get r/w access, then you need to do a trick like this:

\\FREENAS\Media < access via user Chris, with r/o access for "nondistructive" use
\\192.168.1.2\Media < access via user Archivar, with r/w access to store new media files
\\FREENAS-CIFS\Backup < access via user Backup

in my example:
FREENAS is the Hostname of the freenas box in System > Information
192.168.1.2 is the IP address of the freenas box
FREENAS-CIFS is the NetBIOS name of the freenas box in Services > CIFS > Settings

From the PC's point of view, it looks like 3 different servers, so it will accept 3 different user accounts for access without error message.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.