Map network drives with different credentials on Win 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfr2006

Contributor
Hi:

How can i map network drives that are located as shares on my freenas server and have different user access permissions?

For example, i have a shared folder called Media, with permisions set only to user media and a shared folder called Fotos with permissions set only to user sandra and i want to map both folders as network drives on Win 7. It seems however that this is not possible, because win 7 refuses to map different folders on the same machine with different credentials? Any way to bypass this?

Everyone

Dabbler
You should be able to, but you need to map to the share name, and not just to the root...

Example..

Drive F: = \\freenas\fotos
Drive M: = \\freenas\media

Why not just give the appropriate permissions to both shares to the account you're trying to map to them on?

ProtoSD

MVP
Look at the FAQ in my signature or look in the How-To section, I wrote a How-To explaining how to set this up.

jfr2006

Contributor
You should be able to, but you need to map to the share name, and not just to the root...

Example..

Drive F: = \\freenas\fotos
Drive M: = \\freenas\media

Why not just give the appropriate permissions to both shares to the account you're trying to map to them on?

Hi:

That's what i'm trying to do. I'm able to map the first share using it's credentials. As for the second share, i keep getting the window asking for the username and password and i'm unable to map it has a drive. The error is independent of the order i try to map items, that is: if i try to map the second share first and then try the first, it will give the same error. It seems like windows is unable to do this.

I don't want the shares to have the same permissions. It would all be simpler if freenas allowed to map shared folders as root :(

protosd, in which part of the faq.. i can't seem to find it...

Status
Not open for further replies.