Manual update from 9.10.2 fails

moron51

Cadet
For the first time in a long while, this morning I checked my trusty old FreeNAS version/update status. It's running 9.10.2-U6, and it thinks the update server is at http://update.ixsystems.com/FreeNAS. Can't reach this server, so looked at the community posts, decided to try a manual update to 11.1-U7. Downloaded the .tar file to my PC, and hit the Manual Update button. Selected the file (about 470MB), and hit Apply Update. The file copy process appears to complete successfully, but after that, nothing. No prompts, no error messages. Tried rebooting, got back into 9.10.2.

What am I doing wrong?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

moron51

Cadet
Have the minimum specs for FreeNAS changed since 9.10? My hardware has not changed. I simply tried to install a new version of FreeNAS, and the manual update process runs, but doesn't update the system.
My system runs on an HP ProLiant Microserver platform. CPU is an AMD Turion II Neo N40L dual core, RAM is 8GB. Drives are 4x WD Red 2TB SATA, 799GB free. Boot drive is an 8GB USB, 54% used.
Apologies if I'm missing any critical details here. This is my first post on this forum, and I don't speak Linux.

moron51

Cadet
Well, this is sad, but a couple of hours of searching have led me to conclude that my little old home FreeNAS is essentially "out of support". Its hardware specs are insufficient (RAM, boot drive) to upgrade. My nice old HP Microserver platform doesn't have the upgrade potential that a generic white-box system would have had, and a replacement will be much more costly than a purpose-built NAS box from the likes of Synology.
Goodbye, and thanks for all the fish!