Upgrading from 9.10 to Corral - missing sequence file and lost SMB shares

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiBeneke

Dabbler
FreeNAS on HP ML310 with 16GB RAM, 3x3TB ZFS Raid1 and 1TB system log drive.

During the upgrade process I have lost the sequence file and lost my SMB shares.

It happened something like this :
Downloaded the .iso for Corral.
From 9.10.2 GUI, selected update, selected manual update and picked the Corral .iso from on my networked Windows PC.
The update failed, informed me that there was not enough space available on the 16GB USB flash drive in the FreeNAS box.
From the GUI, on Boot tab, deleted some of the older boot environments going back to 9.3.
When there was enough free space on the flash drive, succeeded in doing an update to Corral.
The new Corral GUI is very impressive.

The drives and volumes were visible, account names and group names were there, SMB service was there, but could not see any SMB shares under Sharing.
Could also not reach the Shared drives from Windows.
Rebooted FreeNAS again and from the console selected boot environment 9.10.2.
This is now working and SMB and Shares are usable.

Then from the 9.10.2 GUI, Boot tab, deleted the Corral boot environment, with the intention to re-install and start again.
But it seems the Sequence file has got lost and I cannot do an update, can only change boot environment.

The system also seems to be confused about the loaded trains. See attached screenshots.

I cannot find any online advice on how to restore the sequence file unless I first do an update, which FreeNAS will not do because of the missing file.
I am not very Unix-clever to know how to correctly locate and copy files in the BSD system.

Any suggestions ? Thanks.

Attachments

• FreeNAS_RBd_2017-03-23_A.jpg
    FreeNAS_RBd_2017-03-23_A.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 213
  • FreeNAS_RBd_2017-03-23_B.jpg
    FreeNAS_RBd_2017-03-23_B.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 198
  • FreeNAS_RBd_2017-03-23_C.jpg
    FreeNAS_RBd_2017-03-23_C.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 196
D

dlavigne

From 9.10.2 GUI, selected update, selected manual update and picked the Corral .iso from on my networked Windows PC.

Hmm, I don't think that's supported or that the Corral devs thought of that one in their migration script....

Are things back to normal if you select your U2 boot environment and boot into that?

If so, I'd recommend staying on U2 for now as the Corral installer currently has a bug where you can't install into a new boot environment: https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/22685.

RiBeneke

Dabbler
Thanks for the reply. Yes 9.10.2 U2 is working fine.
I will wait for the update to Corral installer.
Maybe I should not be so eager to try something new, but the improved GUI was appealing.
Do you think the new installer will fix the missing sequence file ?

D

dlavigne

Do you think the new installer will fix the missing sequence file ?

Not sure. Though once it's available, I'd recommend doing the recommended updating route of selecting the train rather than doing the manual update.

Status
Not open for further replies.