Upgrade to U2 problem and manual upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

allanl1

Cadet
I did an upgrade from 11.1 U1 to U2 today that failed, first time ever! It rebooted to an almost blank screen. When I console reset the boot to U1, it worked properly again and showed that the updates to U2 were still available via the GDI. When I clicked install, it gave me the "Update: FreeNAS-11.1-U2 has already been applied. Please activate 11.1-U2 via the Boot Environment Tab and Reboot to use this updated version." message. Rebooting to U2 after selecting it in the GDI boot menu takes me to the almost blank screen with not network connectivity.

So I'm not sure if to try a manual update, wait a few weeks until U2 is fixed and try again via the GDI, or just wait a month until U3 is released and try that? Or something else. Ideas?

Also, where do I get the .tar manual update file and where do I copy the file to so that the manual system sees if, if I want to copy to the array and not a memory stick?

Thanks,

D

dlavigne

Anything in /var/log/messages?

Also, what is the output of beadm list?

allanl1

Cadet
I solved the problem.

I manually deleted the U2 update in the GUI boot manager, selected the U1 as the default boot and rebooted. When it finished booting, I selected the update button and it showed all of the U2 updates again and allowed a regular update. I ran the GUI update and it automatically rebooted and then ran properly as an U2 OS. I think that a computer hiccup caused the problem... now resolved.

Harmless Drudge

Dabbler
U2 update didn't work for me. It didn't complete and when I tried to complete it I was advised to activate it first. That failed with no useful info as far as I recall. I think the problem was insufficient space on the boot drive (orange signal, space at 82%; I deleted an old boot version and then succeeded in activating U2). However, rebooting at that point triggered lots of errors about missing dependencies and I am unable to log in via the GUI. About to see if I can boot U1.

If this is an available space issue it would be good to have a resource check first, before the update, if that's not happening.

Update

I succeeded in booting U1.

Trying to apply the still pending updates yields

"Update: FreeNAS-11.1-U2 has already been applied. Please reboot the system to activate this update."

I have now deleted U2 and reactivated U1. I'll try to resume later.

Update 2

I deleted U2, reinstalled it. Everything working now.

Last edited:

Digitaldreams

Explorer
U2 update didn't work for me. It didn't complete and when I tried to complete it I was advised to activate it first. That failed with no useful info as far as I recall. I think the problem was insufficient space on the boot drive (orange signal, space at 82%; I deleted an old boot version and then succeeded in activating U2). However, rebooting at that point triggered lots of errors about missing dependencies and I am unable to log in via the GUI. About to see if I can boot U1.

If this is an available space issue it would be good to have a resource check first, before the update, if that's not happening.

Update

I succeeded in booting U1.

Trying to apply the still pending updates yields

"Update: FreeNAS-11.1-U2 has already been applied. Please reboot the system to activate this update."

I have now deleted U2 and reactivated U1. I'll try to resume later.

I'm not sure if my issue is the exact same thing but I am also getting the message, "Update: FreeNAS-11.1-U2 has already been applied. Please reboot the system to activate this update.". I see U2 in the Boot tab and I am able to activate it. After I reboot, it shows it is "on" and it's active however there are 2 things that I notice...

1) Under the information or system tab, the build number still shows U1. Shouldn't this reflect U2?

2) When I go to apply the pending updates that still show up, it gives me the message show above, "Update: FreeNAS-11.1-U2 has already been applied. Please reboot the system to activate this update.".

Therefore, I can't complete all updates. I've tried reactivating U1 and then rebooting which worked. Then I activated U2 and still end up with the same outcome I mentioned above.

Any thoughts?

Redcoat

MVP
Delete U2 in the Boot Status screen and update again.

Digitaldreams

Explorer

Digitaldreams

Explorer
That did it! Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.