Update from U1 to U2 fail (Unable to mount boot-environment 11.1-U2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

j0hnby

Explorer
When I trigger an update on my U1 server to go to U2 I get the following error generated

Code:
Environment:

Software Version: FreeNAS-11.1-U1 (f7e246b8f)
Request Method: POST
Request URL: http://82.41.74.105:5905/system/update/apply/?uuid=a32c3946791f456198ac7401edb5341a

Traceback:
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/exception.py" in inner
  42.			 response = get_response(request)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in _legacy_get_response
  249.			 response = self._get_response(request)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in _get_response
  178.			 response = middleware_method(request, callback, callback_args, callback_kwargs)
File "./freenasUI/freeadmin/middleware.py" in process_view
  162.		 return login_required(view_func)(request, *view_args, **view_kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/contrib/auth/decorators.py" in _wrapped_view
  23.				 return view_func(request, *args, **kwargs)
File "./freenasUI/system/views.py" in update_apply
  1300.				 raise MiddlewareError(handler.error)

Exception Type: MiddlewareError at /system/update/apply/
Exception Value: [MiddlewareError: Unable to mount boot-environment 11.1-U2]

I have rebooted, checked storage space, cleared downloaded update files - all have had no-effect/are OK.

Next idea is to manually update from a boot disk/stick - but would prefer to avoid this.

Anyone seen this/have any ideas?

Thanks - John

ezra

Contributor
Well though my error does not show this error message. I cannot update from U1 to U2.
I can install it manually or auto, then reboot but it keeps it at U1. U2 is in the Boot section as active on reboot, though rebooting always keeps it at U1.

You could try to download the U2 iso and install it, be sure to save your config.

Last edited by a moderator:

j0hnby

Explorer
I'll be downloading tonight and trying the manual upgrade. Sure it won't cause too much mayhem! (Unlike the inch of snow we have....) ;)

j0hnby

Explorer
Ok - downloaded the ISO - booted into it, did the install - and totally borked my server.....

When it boots I get told this is a Freenas Data Disk - even though my primary boot device is the drive I installed to (different manufacturer than every other disk)

Now - when I try to install again, I get about 50% through the install, and then the machine just reboots. Even with a different disk. Plus have tried a BIOS reset - and using UEFI and BIOS to boot (have never been able to get UEFI to boot right for Freenas though)

On a side note I am having a problem installing the new BIOS for the board too - so going to stip back to just the board, reset the BIOS totally, and then add the boot disk and try the install again then.

Very glad I backed up the settings......and trust the ZFS to be able to import again.

pschatz100

Guru
Do not automatically assume that something is wrong with FreeNAS. Are you booting from a USB device? It is possible that the USB device got corrupted during the update. USB flash drives are notoriously unreliable and when they are on the edge of failure, they tend to go bad when doing OS updates. This is common.

However, it is also possible your boot device may have two bootloaders installed: one for BIOS boot and one for UEFI boot and your motherboard is trying to use the wrong one. If this is the case, your motherboard will potentially see two devices in the boot priorities section: one named something like [UEFI]DEVICEXXXXX and another named DEVICEXXXXX. If you have your motherboard set for UEFI boot, then you need to select [UEFI]DEVICEXXXXX and disable everything else. If you have your motherboard set for Legacy or BIOS boot (I don't know what ASRock calls it) then you need to select DEVICEXXXXX and disable everything else. If you have your system set up for UEFI boot, but have selected the DEVICEXXXXX (wrong bootloader), then it will see that device as a data disk when you restart.

It seems to have become more of a problem after release of FreeNAS11. I had this situation on a Supermicro motherboard after a fresh install of FreeNAS 11.0.

j0hnby

Explorer
I don't automatically assume anything - that's why I am stripping back to the bare bones of the system to eliminate anything has been added in.

I have been booting via BMC, so using an ISO (in fact two ISOs to make sure that my download wasn't corrupted) - but have tried multiple boot sticks too.

And, I have checked the correct boot sequence is in place, both in BIOS/Legacy mode, and UEFI mode. Disabling everything but the required boot drive (even before installing FreeNAS to make sure there was no attempt to install a bootloader on any other drive.

Still working on it - tonight stripping it back to the basics

pschatz100

Guru
On my Supermicro X9SCM board, when I was booting from USB flash drives I had used UEFI boot. When I changed to booting off an SSD, I had to change to using BIOS boot after installing FreeNAS to the SSD using the BIOS boot option.

No matter what I did, or how I installed FreeNAS, the system would not boot from the SSD using UEFI. I think it may be some sort of a bios firmware limitation (or perhaps something to do with my particular SSD drive.) At any rate, since then it has been rock solid.

j0hnby

Explorer
At least it's not just me then ;)

I think I may have narrowed it down to my PSU! The vcore reading on the BMC keeps dropping and then the system reboots (usually when the machine is doing something - like installing Freenas, or running Make when I get FreeBSD installed on it's own)

Does it sound like the PSU is buggered, or is that a sign of the mobo?

pschatz100

Guru
Power supply problems can be difficult to diagnose. I just replaced one in my home system.

I can't comment about ASRock motherboards as I use Supermicro, but you might search around a bit for any comments people make about the board. Good luck.

j0hnby

Explorer
Yup, always a pain when they look like they are starting to play up, and I never have a spare running around to test with!

There are a lot of posts about the ASRock C2750d4i boards, most of them about how long they haven't lasted. Though it's related to a watchdog problem for most of them, still put a downer on it. I have dropped a support question to ASRock too to see what they come back with.

Status
Not open for further replies.