9.10.1 U2 to U4 upgrade fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Free as in Nas

Dabbler
I'm having some issues going from 9.10.1 U2 to U4. Every time I try and upgrade, the system gets into an unbootable state and I need to go into Grub and restore U2.

First time it happened I could see the boot menu but it was constantly getting redraw and there was a message about TTY0 getting flooded. Second time, well, I actually forget what the error was, but it wasn't bootable and I didn't even get to the boot menu.

This is a vague description of the problem, I know, but I am looking for suggestions about how to debug the issue. What logs would stay around after restoring to U2 that I could use to debug the issue?

D

dlavigne

Have you tried burning U4 to a different stick? It is possible that the current stick is dying.

Free as in Nas

Dabbler
Have you tried burning U4 to a different stick? It is possible that the current stick is dying.

No I haven't. What's the process there? Do a fresh install to a new stick and then restore the previous configuration?

My NAS is at the end of it's life so I was hoping to avoid spending more money on it short term. Honestly I would just ignore U4 if it wasn't for it fixing some data corruption issues.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
No I haven't. What's the process there? Do a fresh install to a new stick and then restore the previous configuration?

My NAS is at the end of it's life so I was hoping to avoid spending more money on it short term. Honestly I would just ignore U4 if it wasn't for it fixing some data corruption issues.

https://download.freenas.org/9.10/STABLE/9.10.1-U4/ChangeLog

I don't think there is any corruption fixes that you need to care about.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Free as in Nas

Dabbler
To put a cap on this thread, after getting distracted from this problem for a bit and coming back to updating my server I was able to update to 9.10.2 with no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.