Maintaining jails after 9.10 update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I have just upgraded my 9.3 FreeNAS to 9.10 and everything appeared to run perfectly. The FAQ states that the previous jails problems should be solved, which was my main concern as I have 6 jails that are in "production" and a couple of test-jails.

After the upgrade, uname -r states 10.3-STABLE on both master and jails, which I believe is a good thing (tm)

In my jail I have performed:
* pkg update
* pkg upgrade
* portsnap fetch extract

But when I do a portupgrade -a

I get an error:
"Mk/bsd.port.mk", line 1166: UNAME_r (10.3-STABLE) and OSVERSION (903000) do not agree on major version number.
bummer...

So now the main question is, how can I (if at all possible) maintain my software installed from ports (ie. Apache and other tools as they needed to be compiled with tls support)?

I've read something about deleting all jails and rebuild them... but honestly, is that really a solution that is worthy of 2016? I really don't like to reinstall everything that have been built in my jails... yes I have backups, but rolling them onto a fresh jail probably still will generate a lot of work, plus I have downtime on my services while performing the reinstall...

If nuking all jails and rebuild them is the only solution, is it possible to make a gradual migration (one jail at a time)?

Hope somebody has pointers...

Thomas

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
This is why I will stay on 9.3.1 for the foreseeable future.

maglin

Patron
You can revert back to 9.3.1 until you have the time to rebuild. Or just wait for FreeNAS 10 to release and do it then. I have no help other than that for your current situation.

Rolling back should be as easy as restoring a previous boot snapshot from before the upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there any guides on how I can recreate the jails dataset? Is it possible to create a new dataset and migrate one jail at a time? Or is it possible that there will come an upgrade path in the near future (FreeNAS 10.0 release)?

phynias

Dabbler
Is there any guides on how I can recreate the jails dataset? Is it possible to create a new dataset and migrate one jail at a time? Or is it possible that there will come an upgrade path in the near future (FreeNAS 10.0 release)?

i'd like to know this as well.

msbxa

Contributor
What I understood is that the existing 9.3.x jails will continue to work on 9.10 and if you decide to create to ones it will use new template for FreeBSD 10.x.

phynias

Dabbler
What I understood is that the existing 9.3.x jails will continue to work on 9.10 and if you decide to create to ones it will use new template for FreeBSD 10.x.

Hmm from what i've read they almost made it sound like if you want to use the new templates you have to blow everything away and recreate it.

adrianwi

Guru
I think that was the case at the start and then things improved, but to be honest I haven't been brave enough to know for sure. When I tested in a VM I'd upgraded from 9.3.1 to 9.10 I could update jails created in 9.3.1 and created new ones in 9.10, but I'm still running 9.3.1 and reading threads like this one :D

phynias

Dabbler

good to know. so can anyone tell me what are the main advantages of going to 9.10? is it worth it?

JoelN

Dabbler
I can confirm that my standard Plex install under 9.3.x works and updates just fine (using pkg update) after updating to 9.10-STABLE. I updated to 9.10 two or three builds ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.