Trouble update ports jail after 9.10 upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

sremick

Patron
I had a script already for updating my apps. So I just added these commands to that script.

fillg1

Dabbler
Just tried to upgrade as described above

Code:
===>  Cleaning for gmake-4.2.1_1
/!\ ERROR: /!\

Ports Collection support for your FreeBSD version has ended, and no ports are
guaranteed to build on this system. Please upgrade to a supported release.

No support will be provided if you silence this message by defining
ALLOW_UNSUPPORTED_SYSTEM.

*** [show-unsupported-system-error] Error code 1

So I have to wait for FreeNAS 10 ?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
No you rebuild your jail on the 9.10 (FreeBSD 10.3) template.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

dan3408

Dabbler
I just noticed the ports support ended for my standard jails and found this thread.

Is there a guide on rebuilding jails and migrating data? I would like information on:
1) Best way to copy/move datasets under jails/
2) I also have two plugin jails for Plex and Transmission. What directories must be copied over to keep these settings?
3) Other considerations like: you must delete the jails dataset and start over to get the updated templates.

Thanks

dan3408

Dabbler
Successfully completed rebuilding jails/ on my machine this weekend. This should have been much easier for plugins, but was what I expected for my standard jails.

1) Re data management
I wasted a lot of time thinking that there should be some clever way to use clones to make copies of my datasets under jails. This could have been an OK idea, but I thought I would try the GUI and learned that it is hostile to making multiple clones at once and does not have an support promoting clones. I recommend making a copy or two using old fashioned rsync and maybe tar after stopping the jails.

I then deleted the plugins followed by the jails followed by the jails/ dataset and the child datasets that I had backed up.

2) Then I added a transmission plugin. All the Jails - Storage mappings I had were still there, but I had to edit each one for the new jail name. At this point I realized I had not changed the Jails - Configuration to point to the 9.10 Collection URL, but it appears not to have mattered. I copied the jail settings including mac addr, and finally I copied over var/db/transmission from my backup. Restarted the jail and then started the plugin and everything just worked. (yay!)

I did the same thing for plexmedia server, copying over var/db/plexdata from my backup, but it didn't work. :/ I also copied usr/local/share/plexmediaserver and it still didn't start after restarting the jail or trying to control through plugin gui. Nothing in "var/db/plexdata/Plex Media Server/Logs", either. But after trying to restart another time with the rc script worked. Plex now starts up when I restart the jail, and my library metadata is all intact. But the plugin ui has still been showing service status off.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Next I manually entered a Template to look like http://doc.freenas.org/9.10/jails.html#managing-jail-templates. I'm not sure if this is necessary.
Then I re-created one of my standard jails for running smokeping. It took a little trial and error to install all the packages needed for the binaries smokeping uses and a config change to update the location of dig. Only negative is that my smokeping metrics have a ~day gap while I was screwing around with this stuff.

3) Caveats worth noting
a) Before you delete your jails:
* run 'pkg info' to get a good list of packages when you are rebuilding.
* use rsync to make a backup after quiescing all services / stopping the jails
* take some screenshots of the jail configs in the web ui. The individual jails, the jails storage, and the jails config
b) Don't delete the Jails - Storage mappings, these can be updated with the new jails' names.
c) Update the Jails - Configuration Collection to point to the 9.10 Collection url "https://download.freenas.org/jails/10/x64/", but it probably isn't important.
d) Maybe create a template under Jails - Templates using url: https://download.freenas.org/jails/10/x64/freenas-standard-10.3-RELEASE.tgz and mtree: https://download.freenas.org/jails/10/x64/freenas-standard-10.3-RELEASE.mtree

balanga

Patron
I was alerted to this thread by someone on the FreeBSD forum so maybe my problem is due to a FreeNAS 9.10 upgrade too. Maybe someone could help....

I previously managed to build php56-pdo_pgsql to be able to run Drupal 8 with PostgreSQL 9.6 after

echo 'DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=pgsql=9.6' >> /etc/make.conf

I'm now trying to do the same in a FreeBSD 10.3 jail running under a FreeNAS 9.10 but get
Code:
"/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk", line 1162: UNAME_r (10.3-STABLE) and OSVERSION (903000) do not agree on major version number.

Is there anything I can do to get around this? Is this a similar bug to those reported in this thread?

sremick

Patron
Well I noticed last night after trying to update the latest Plex (it's been a while) that it wasn't working with my current setup. I used "setenv ALLOW_UNSUPPORTED_SYSTEM true" to get around it for the time being, which worked fine. But looks like I'm going to need to dive into the hairy process of rebuilding my Jail and migrating data over, which from what I've seen doesn't go as smoothly as a user would like or as other promise.

balanga

Patron
I'm thinking that maybe I should install a second FreeBSD jail and see if the problem remains. If it disappears then I'll try copying over the first jail.... I don't really fancy rebuilding it.

NetSoerfer

Explorer
This has now happened to me after upgrading from 9.10 to 11. Is it just commonly accepted behavior when doing a major update of FreeNAS that all jails have to be recreated?

D

dlavigne

This has now happened to me after upgrading from 9.10 to 11. Is it just commonly accepted behavior when doing a major update of FreeNAS that all jails have to be recreated?

Yes, if you want to update the software in the jail due to ABI differences between major versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.