Main volume has nested dataset with same name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cicatrize

Explorer
I'm not sure when this happened, but I have a dataset nested in my main volume with the same name of "main". This dataset also has 2 less TiB of available space, so I'm not sure what's going on. My inital thought was that it's a mounted snapshot, but I'm not sure, and I don't want to risk destroying the dataset and losing all of my data on the volume. Here's a screenshot from the GUI:
2015-04-13%2010_51_16-freenas%20-%20FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201503270027.png

Here's my CIFS share accessed in Windows. Here you see the folder for main inside my volume, but this folder is empty:
2015-04-13%2010_57_16.png

And here's a zfs list command output:
2015-04-13%2014_19_08.png

FreeNAS Version: FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201503270027

Hardware:
  • AMD A10-6700
  • 16GB RAM
  • 8x 1TB Samsung/Seagate HD103SJ
  • RAIDZ2 (6+2)
Any ideas?

Last edited:

Cicatrize

Explorer
Ah, not sure how I didn't find that in my searches, dlavigne. Thank you. Yes, I believe that's exactly what's happening. I'm not sure why the images aren't showing up. I apparently don't know how to dropbox. :)

Cicatrize

Explorer
I edited the original post. Hopefully the images show up and my non-issue can be confirmed.

danb35

Hall of Famer
The images do now show up, and the non-issue can be confirmed. It isn't really recommended to share your entire volume--generally better to create datasets and share them instead.

Cicatrize

Explorer
The images do now show up, and the non-issue can be confirmed. It isn't really recommended to share your entire volume--generally better to create datasets and share them instead.
Is there a specific reason for this? It's probably been a few years since I created the current pool I'm working with.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Is there a specific reason for this? It's probably been a few years since I created the current pool I'm working with.

You don't risk borking the .System dataset, for starters.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You also shouldn't share your jails for everyone to see and modify permissions on.

Martinizi

Cadet
Last edited:

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
This is not the same issue.

And it's normal that if you put data in /something/toto/ it doesn't do anything to /something/toto/whatever/. But by "impact" what do you mean exactly?

Martinizi

Cadet
I mean that if I put data into /mnt/volume1/media/ it doesn't impact free space left on /mnt/volume1/ I don't get it? :(

And top level shows 5,6TB left but then its 2,5 + 2,5?? I'm not following... Should i cd /mnt/volume1/ and mkdir Media instead of creating a media dataset??

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Yep, it's normal, the available spaces of the datasets is the total available space. They aren't calculated with the dataset tree in mind.

You don't have 2.5 + 2.5 but 2.5 only. If you add 100 GB of data to one or the other you'll have 2.4 for both.

Another example is that I have 4 datasets in the same volume and each shows 10 TB available because it's the available space on this volume, it's not 40 TB available. If I add 2 TB of data on one of these datasets then each one will show 8 TB available.

Datasets aren't directories and directories aren't datasets. You should use the one you want for your needs ;)

danb35

Hall of Famer
I have 3x3TB WD Red in RaidZ2 (Raid 5)
  1. You do not have three disks in RAIDZ2.
  2. RAIDZ1, which can be build using three disks, is not RAID 5.
  3. I still can't follow the rest of your question. It's pretty much normal that the free space on a dataset and its subdataset will be the same; the most common exception would be if you'd set a quota for one or the other.

Martinizi

Cadet
I feel so stupid... :(
Look at the top Volume1 in My screenshot. It's like 6-7Tb but It's dataset is not??

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

danb35

Hall of Famer
The top line is the "raw" capacity of your pool--the total capacity of all disks, not accounting for parity and such. As expected, with 3 x 3 TB disks, it's about 9 TB, or just over 8 TiB. The second line is the pool's root or implicit dataset, and will ordinarily represent the "net" capacity of your pool, accounting for parity. If your pool is RAIDZ1, that should be about 6 TB, or 5.4 TiB--yours is showing as 5.2 TiB, which is likely close enough. Dru explained this and gave a link to the manual in her post earlier in this thread.

Martinizi

Cadet
I read her link... thing is I need help explaining. I could find anything i the manual on how to read it out. I cant figure it out...
/mnt/Volume1/ says its using 1,7TB... but under Volume1 is the dataset called Media where all the data is stored, 786Gb of data. How can that data be 1,7 in /mnt/Volume1/ ??

Now Im copying the contents of "Media" to /mnt/Volume1/ and then I'm destroying the "Media" dataset... that should atleast do it right?

danb35

Hall of Famer
I have no idea if destroying the media dataset will "do it", since I still have no idea what the "it" is that you're trying to "do". So far, nothing you've said or shown points to a problem.

Ignore the first Volume1. The second line for Volume1 shows it's using 2.7 TiB (not 1.7 as you state), and has 2.5 TiB available, for a total size of 5.2 TiB. Volume1 contains 2 datasets, Media and TimeMachine. Media is using about 800 GiB (and showing 2.5 TiB available), while TimeMachine is using 1.2 TiB (with 863 GiB available). Your media plus your time machine total about 2 TiB, so you have about 700 GiB of other stuff on Volume1 that isn't in either of those two datasets. These could be files in other directories, snapshots, space reservations, or any number of things. Where is the problem?

Martinizi

Cadet
Thank you for your patience. I have now Done what I Said and It's much easier to understand now. :)
8ff084558f1faf989f60b55bf79a7188.jpg

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.