MacPro1,1 2006 - 64bit install with 32bit EFI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number1Onion

Dabbler
Hello,

I'm attempting to boot 64bit FreeNAS install on a 2006 MacPro with a 32bit EFI. Anyone have any experience with this? I have tried installing on another machine and then booting and that fails, etc.

Would it be possible to install 32bit and then 64bit on separate drives and move the 32bit boot files over to the 64bit instance?

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
FreeNAS has been 64 bit only since 9.3. If you want to try FreeNAS youll need to start with more appropriate hardware.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
That still doesnt change the fact that your hardware is woefully inadequate for freenas.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Ok maybe not woefully inadequate but your experience on 11 year old hardware is not likely to be a good one. I would use this for testing and evaluation purposes only.

Can you change the boot options to legacy boot?

Number1Onion

Dabbler
Ok maybe not woefully inadequate but your experience on 11 year old hardware is not likely to be a good one. I would use this for testing and evaluation purposes only.

Can you change the boot options to legacy boot?

Not that I know of. I was able to legacy boot via rEFind once I installed FreeNAS to an internal drive instead of a USB stick. Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.