macOS users: how to tweak AFP and SMB shares to work simultaneously?

Status
Not open for further replies.

muffinMan

Dabbler
I'm new to FreeNAS. I'm running 11.1-U4 and set up two shares: an AFP share for Time Machine and an SMB for media. It works, but not 100% as it's supposed to I think... I'm looking for some advice or direction to resources that might help me.

When looking at Finder, I see my NAS, but only can see one of the shares; the SMB. Should I expect to see both the AFP share and the SMB listed together? When I go to the Time Machine app, it shows the AFP share connected, and it says it is backing up, so it works. However, if the SMB connection glitches or disconnects, I then see the time machine share listed in Finder instead of the SMB share.

Brings me to my next point, the SMB share is pretty "buggy". I'm finding that the share becomes unmounted or I have to re-authenticate often, by manually re-connecting in Finder (CMD-K), but sometimes Finder refuses the re-connect. The only solution at that point is to force quit/relaunch Finder, which doesn't seem to be how it should be working.

Some of my settings if it helps:
I have freeNAS users in a "user" group, which owns the dataset for the SMB share. Users log in with password client side to connect to the share (in Finder). VFS objects selected are zfs_space, zfsacl, streams_xattr, fruit, and catia. Someone else in other forum suggested to also add the following to Aux Parameters, but honestly, I'm not sure what it is for:
Code:
mangled names = no
dos charset = CP850
unix charset = UTF-8

kdragon75

Wizard
If your using AFP for time machine, MacOS will hide it from view as its easy to break TM backups. If you want another share over AFP setup a second share. Do not share a TM locations over SMB at the same time.

Sidenote, Apple is retiring AFP. Just use SMB.

kdragon75

Wizard
If your backup disk is on a network, the network server can use Server Message Block (SMB) file sharing. Your Mac must be connected to the SMB server when you set up Time Machine. After you select the network disk in Time Machine preferences, Time Machine automatically connects to the disk when it’s time to back up or restore your data.

Note: Some SMB and AFP disks from manufacturers other than Apple don’t support Time Machine. If your network uses an SMB or AFP disk, but the disk doesn’t appear in the list of devices available for Time Machine backups, contact the disk’s manufacturer.
Published Date: Mar 28, 2017
From the horse's mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.