Machine beeping constantly

Adures

Dabbler
Hi i have a problem with my freenas machine is constantly beeping. It started suddenly and doesn't stop after it starts.

My motherboard: Asrock e3v5 ws
CPU: Intel G4560
Memory: 16 GB ecc Kingston RAM (2x 8 GB)
Drives: 6x 1tb in Raid-Z2
EDIT: FreeNAS-11.2-U4.1

there is no error like that according to this:

https://ddr4motherboard.com/beepcodes/ASROCK-E3V5-WS

After restart the system is starting fine and nothing wrong happends. After it fully starts and i can log in using web UI and access my jails it starts beeping again.

I read somewhere that it might be RAM problem, I tried taking it out and putting back again to the system and swapping them with no luck.

Freenas doesnt send me any alerts and everything seem to be working fine, other than this beeping noise.

NAS is in my room so it will probably drive me crazy, but i need it to be turned on.

What can i do?

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
The system board is probably trying to tell you that something is wrong. Something that FreeNAS doesn't know about.

Is there a pattern to the beeps?

Are all the fans running? Often when a fan stops, the system will give you an alarm before the heat becomes a problem but FreeNAS does not natively monitor fan speed at all.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
It is possible that a beep code will repeat itself or be different at initial startup. You may need a relatively quiet room to hear the pauses or groupings of beeps. If your motherboard has LED indicator lights on it, one or more may be flashing as well, plus, if you can access your BIOS (or similar) settings pages, it may give a clue or warning.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
Yep, ale the fans are spinning.

What is interesting is that the moment I clicked the power button and the system started shutting down, the beeping stopped.

Temperatures are also in norm 30-32 °C
HDD are 27,5-28,5 °C

Edit:
@Tigersharke
This beeping just doesnt stop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6AdDWHXqp8&feature=youtu.be

In the link there is a beeping sound that doesnt stop.

It is difficult to hear a distinct pattern. Your fans may still be running, but is there a warning set for when they are not reaching a particular RPM? The same for any other temperature reading, even if things are within an acceptable range, a temperature warning could be set which would warn. I'd still look at any BIOS settings which could apply to either. Perhaps the manual for your motherboard will shed some light on any possible BIOS settings which may relate to any warnings?

It seems possible that the issue is not one that prevents a boot but I cannot guess what might cause a beep like that if it were not important at all. Any other sort of hardware failure, or the BIOS expects something connected/running that is not, or though very doubtful, maybe any other PCI card which has its own warning beep? Any other sort of alarm that could have been set somewhere for any reason? You certainly know better about how you assembled the box and how you set BIOS or other software. Do power supplies ever have their own warning beeps? I'd think a PS would simply fail silently. Any other thing which may be attached to the box which might be monitored in any way?

I hope you discover precisely what it is and solve the issue. I clearly do not know enough to help more than figuratively "poke around aimlessly".

Adures

Dabbler
Right, I will be investigating the issue.

I also contacted Asrock support, maybe they will have some good ideas.
I will post an update if I find a solution.
For now I took out the speaker so I can focus. That soud was really irritating after a while.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
For now I took out the speaker so I can focus. That soud was really irritating after a while.
Just don't forget to follow up and reconnect the speaker. It wouldn't be beeping if there was not something that needed to be tended to.

pro lamer

Guru
Wild guess alert: what is your chassis and PSU?

Sent from my phone

Adures

Dabbler
I want to give an update on my issue. Just like the problem appeared out ow nowhere it also disappeared without any fixing on my part, when Asrock support finally replied to my email.

Turns out they have no idea, what could cause that kind of sound, but they gave me an interesting troubleshooting idea, which I haven't thought of and that is trying to boot different system from pendrive and see what happends.
Unfortunately (is it? :) ) I wasn't able to try it out, because the problem fixed itself.

Adures

Dabbler
Ok, turns out the problem was really stupid, but I post it anyway for anyone that might encounter constant beeping noise from their freenas machine.

One of the arrow keys on my keyboard that was connected to the machine was sending signal that it's pressed. Fixing problem with a key, solved problem with beeping noise. It was really hard to spot, because the key didn't really looked like it was being pressed.