Resource icon

LSI 9300-xx Firmware Update 16.00.12.00

isopropyl

Contributor
Okay so I decided to not add the rom to the drive. I plugged it in, launched the efi shell, and I still only see BLK0 BLK1 and BLK2 under the mapping table. Now ls does not work for any of them. THey just say "ls: File not found - blk1:\"
Not sure if either of those even actually is the usb drive.

Was I supposed to format the usb a specific way?
Like i said, I just added the .bin file, and the sas3flash.efi file to the root of the usb and thats all.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The EFI specification mandates support for FAT32, so that's what everyone supports.

isopropyl

Contributor
The EFI specification mandates support for FAT32, so that's what everyone supports.
I'm not too sure what I'm doing wrong then. I should be able to run ls on those drives, and if one of them is the usb, it should show the .bin file, no?
It doesn't.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
What happens when you type FS0:?

isopropyl

Contributor
What happens when you type FS0:?
Sorry late response, didn't have time lately then was waiting to rip apart my server rack to reorganize, and currently it is running a scrub.
But I tried this originally and it couldn't find that. I think it's system dependent, similar to network naming (like igb1 vs ix1). Where as you must've just ran into a lot of FS0 and mine are BLK.

Unless there are specific formatting or something I have to do to the USB? I forget what I had on the USB for files. And I was just using FAT32.
But I had tried listing all the devices like I originally said, and it only found BLK0 BLK1 and BLK2
and I tried running BLK0: BLK1: and BLK2: and they all gave me that "ls: File not found - blk0:\" error

What are the commands you guys would use when you boot from the EFI shell to actually do the firmware update? It's likely I'm just typing the wrong stuff too. Tried looking up the commands for EFI shell but it wasn't much help because I couldn't even find the USB/files as proven above.

Etorix

Wizard
map to list file systems, then
fs0: and dirto list files and see which drive it is
repeat with all entries from map until the USB thumbdrive is found (hopefully, it is fs0:)

sash

Dabbler
Sorry late response, didn't have time lately then was waiting to rip apart my server rack to reorganize, and currently it is running a scrub.
But I tried this originally and it couldn't find that. I think it's system dependent, similar to network naming (like igb1 vs ix1). Where as you must've just ran into a lot of FS0 and mine are BLK.

Unless there are specific formatting or something I have to do to the USB? I forget what I had on the USB for files. And I was just using FAT32.
But I had tried listing all the devices like I originally said, and it only found BLK0 BLK1 and BLK2
and I tried running BLK0: BLK1: and BLK2: and they all gave me that "ls: File not found - blk0:\" error

What are the commands you guys would use when you boot from the EFI shell to actually do the firmware update? It's likely I'm just typing the wrong stuff too. Tried looking up the commands for EFI shell but it wasn't much help because I couldn't even find the USB/files as proven above.
I have the same HBA from Supermicro AOC-S3008L-L8E that I flashed with 9300 latest firmware.
My USB drive ended up being on fs4:
Just keep cycling through FS0: FS1: FS2: following with a dir command to see the contents of the USB. Then follow the flashing instructions from supermicro . I flashed the Supermicro recommended firmware first 16.00.10.00 by running the command SMC3008R.NSH. At the end I had to manually input last 9 digits of the SAS address. i.e. 0070a8b00.
So I suggest before flashing find out your sas address by running a command sas3flash.efi -list and making a note of your SAS address.
I am not sure if it is the same address for all HBAs of this model.
Anyway, after flashing the supermicro firmware I ran the latest 16.00.12.00 for the chipset sas3flash -o -f SAS9300_8i_IT.bin
Attached are two screens for both firmwares:

Screenshot%202023-10-03%20at%2011.25.02.jpg

Screenshot%202023-10-03%20at%2011.40.01.jpg

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
So I suggest before flashing find out your sas address by running a command sas3flash.efi -list and making a note of your SAS address.
I am not sure if it is the same address for all HBAs of this model.
No it's not. It's unique per unit. Sort of like an Ethernet MAC address. That's why you need to enter it when flashing, because it's stored somwhere with the firmware.

If you are in the process of flashing already and don't want to cancel and go back to looking it up, there's usually a sticker on the controller. Depending on your situation that might be quicker, e.g. when you have the server on your maintenance desk, anyway.