Low transfer (1MB/s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pequadt

Dabbler
Hello there!

I just installed FreeNAS in a Core 2 Quad Q6600 system with 8 GB of RAM.
I'm using 2x 500GB HDD @ 5400 rpm.

My FreeNAS system is connected by ethernet wire to the modem.

When I made a test to see the transfer speed (a 2 GB .zip file) my transfer speed is just 900-1100 KB/s from my Windows 10 computer. I tried to find some tutorials, but I only found info about +30MB/s or more.

Sorry but I'm not sure what information should I provide here, so please feel free to ask me about my systems/devices. Thanks in advance for any help :)

joeschmuck

Old Man
Try to directly connect your FreeNAS to your Win 10 computer and transfer again. You should be able to get 90MB/sec or more. If this works then odds are your modem has 100Mbit ports and not 1Gbit ports.

What protocol are you using? SMB/CIFS is the way to go here. If this fails to provide you better throughput then you will need to provide full details of your FreeNAS system and your Win 10 system.

kdragon75

Wizard
how are you testing the speed and how is your pool setup (run zpool list -v)? That ancient hardware but I get MUCH better speeds from an Atom D525 with 6GB of RAM over wifi.

Last edited by a moderator:

kdragon75

Wizard
Try to directly connect your FreeNAS to your Win 10 computer and transfer again. You should be able to get 90MB/sec or more. If this works then odds are your modem has 100Mbit ports and not 1Gbit ports.

What protocol are you using? SMB/CIFS is the way to go here. If this fails to provide you better throughput then you will need to provide full details of your FreeNAS system and your Win 10 system.
Yeap. I forgot to say.. Get a real switch. I have had good luck with the little Netgear ProSafe 1GB switches for small odd jobs.

Pequadt

Dabbler

Thanks for your help!

I'm trying to use the Ethernet cable directly to my computer. I rebooted the FreeNAS system, but still my computer doesn't identify the Ethernet connection. On the other hand the FreeNAS system gives this address: http://0.0.0.0 instead of the previous 192.168.0.14 (I guess this is not good).

I'm using SMB connection.

I'm going to restart my computer, reboot the NAS again, and come back here with any news.

how are you testing the speed and how is your pool setup (run zpool list -v)? That ancient hardware but I get MUCH better speeds from an Atom D525 with 6GB of RAM over wifi.

I'll do that in some minutes, thanks for your help too :)

kdragon75

Wizard
To directly connect FreeNAS to your PC you will need to assign static IP addresses.
FreeNAS Documentation - Network interfaces

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'm trying to use the Ethernet cable directly to my computer.
You are unfamiliar with me here on the forums but when I provide guidance I usually tell someone to power off a system when I desire that result. I didn't tell you that. Had you left things powered off and just moved the Ethernet cable, it should have worked just fine. You Modem is apparently providing DHCP and thus an IP address. So you can either reconnect and power back up to get the automatic IP addresses or assign static IP address and Gateway. Honestly I prefer a static IP but this was just to be a simple quick test. I suspect you have a slow modem port/switch.

Pequadt

Dabbler

Sorry, I don't know how (if possible) I can use a console with my chrome browser, so I took a pic:
https://i.imgur.com/AfaSxee.jpg

I opened the NAS address in my W10's file browser, entered my user and then copied a .zip file inside the folder. The speed was around 1 MB/s, but right now it was around 4 MB/s.

To directly connect FreeNAS to your PC you will need to assign static IP addresses.
FreeNAS Documentation - Network interfaces

Thanks again! I'll try that and come back asap :D

kdragon75

Wizard
Well the good news is that you have your disks configured in the fastest way possible. The bad news is that you have your disks configured in the most dangerous way possible. If anything gets corrupted you will not be able to recover that corrupt data. If one of your drives fails you lose everything. You basically have a fancy (and slow) RAID0. Don't save anything that can't easily be replaced on this NAS. As joeschmuck alluded to, you can skip the static IP if you connect both to the "router" boot them up and then directly connect them. This is only for testing. As for console access from chrome, look on the left on the FreeNAS UI toward the bottom. You should see an item labeled shell. That provides a web based interface for the shell.

Pequadt

Dabbler

Connecting my Pc and the FreeNAS to my modem gave me 11.4 MB/s stable.I'm not sure if this is a good number but at least is not 1 MB/s haha.

Well the good news is that you have your disks configured in the fastest way possible. The bad news is that you have your disks configured in the most dangerous way possible. If anything gets corrupted you will not be able to recover that corrupt data. If one of your drives fails you lose everything. You basically have a fancy (and slow) RAID0. Don't save anything that can't easily be replaced on this NAS. As joeschmuck alluded to, you can skip the static IP if you connect both to the "router" boot them up and then directly connect them. This is only for testing. As for console access from chrome, look on the left on the FreeNAS UI toward the bottom. You should see an item labeled shell. That provides a web based interface for the shell.

I was watching videos about RAIDZ and Z2, but with my disks I coundl't setup like it. Just Mirror or String (I'm not sure if this was the word). Maybe is because I need more disks, or twin disks. I'm not sure, but in the near future I'll want a RaidZ2.

Thanks for pointing this, I'm saving now only some test data, and after the testing I'll save only no-important data. Since my mobo has 6 SATA ports, I'll leave those 2 old disks as almost 1 TB of no-important stuff.

Well, looks like my modem is awful. I guess I need a router if I want better transfer, isn't it?

kdragon75

Wizard
That's still terrible speed. Can open the shell from the webpage, on the little dropdown menu select 132x25 (to make the screen bigger) and run the command lspci

kdragon75

Wizard

Pequadt

Dabbler
That's still terrible speed. Can open the shell from the webpage, on the little dropdown menu select 132x25 (to make the screen bigger) and run the command lspci

Code:
[root@freenas ~]# lspci																											 
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset DRAM Controller (rev 03)													
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port (rev 03)											   
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4											 
00:1a.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5											 
00:1a.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6											 
00:1a.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2											
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) HD Audio Controller												 
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) PCI Express Root Port 1												
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) PCI Express Port 2													 
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) PCI Express Root Port 5												
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) PCI Express Root Port 6												
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1											 
00:1d.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2											 
00:1d.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3											 
00:1d.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1											
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 90)																	 
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801JIB (ICH10) LPC Interface Controller													 
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) 4 port SATA IDE Controller #1									   
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) SMBus Controller															
00:1f.5 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) 2 port SATA IDE Controller #2									   
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cypress PRO [Radeon HD 5850]							 
01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cypress HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5830/5850/5870 / 6850/6870 Rebrand]	 
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 03)	 
03:00.0 IDE interface: JMicron Technology Corp. JMB368 IDE controller															   
04:00.0 USB controller: NEC Corporation uPD720200 USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 03)

kdragon75

Wizard
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 03)
So that's your network card. It's a Realtek and there kinda crappy but you should still be getting better speeds. You download of 11.4MegaBYTES per sec (91.2megaBITS per sec) still sounds suspiciously like we're running over a 100mb (12.5MB) connection. Please run two more commands while directly connected to the FreeNAS.

1. On the FreeNAS from the shell run ifconfig
  2. On your PC from the command line run
    Code:
    wmic NIC where NetEnabled=true get Name, Speed

kdragon75

Wizard

Pequadt

Dabbler
So that's your network card. It's a Realtek and there kinda crappy but you should still be getting better speeds. You download of 11.4MegaBYTES per sec (91.2megaBITS per sec) still sounds suspiciously like we're running over a 100mb (12.5MB) connection. Please run two more commands while directly connected to the FreeNAS.

1. On the FreeNAS from the shell run ifconfig
  2. On your PC from the command line run
    Code:

Thanks again for your help, and sorry for the late response.

This is what I got from the shell command:
Code:
[root@freenas ~]# ifconfig																										
re0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500														  
	   options=8209b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,WOL_MAGIC,LINKSTATE>										
	   ether 48:5b:39:a0:7d:7a																									
	   hwaddr 48:5b:39:a0:7d:7a																									
	   inet 192.168.0.14 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255																
	   nd6 options=9<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED>																						
	   media: Ethernet autoselect (10baseT/UTP <full-duplex>)																	
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384																  
	   options=600003<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>																	  
	   inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128																									
	   inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2																				
	   inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000																						  
	   nd6 options=21<PERFORMNUD,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>																				  
	   groups: lo

About the W10 command:
Code:
Name									Speed
TP-Link Wireless N PCI Express Adapter  99250000

For me all this is like reading Chinese (well, actually worst, because I know some words in Chinese haha). Any way, thanks again for your time and your help, I hope I pasted everything well, let me know if there is any problem please.

Pequadt

Dabbler
Perfect. Its cheap simple and works well.

If I have to buy some new gadgets, I was thinking about this:

1st option: From my actual modem -> Switch (buy one) -> PLC (buy one) -> To my computer by Ethernet. The rest of devices through the modem. The FreeNAS system connected to the switch by Ethernet.
2nd option: From my actual modem -> Router (buy one) -> Connect all my devices wireless. Connect the FreeNAS to the Router by Ethernet. Probably buying a new PCI-e wifi for my computer, since my actual one is 300 Mb

I'm not sure if any of these options are good or not, is just, I was wondering if they are good options or crappy ones. I think the expenses will be more or less the same with any of them.

kdragon75

Wizard
media: Ethernet autoselect (10baseT/UTP <full-duplex>)
Thats saying that your 1000Mbit network card is only connecting at 10Mbit. THAT is you problem. you can try adding an option to the interface to force it to use a faster connection IF the modem supports it.

In your interface config screen add media 1000baseTX mediaopt full-duplex to the options section. If this does not work, you may have to use a keyboard and monitor on the FreeNAS server to reset and configure the interface. Please review the FreeNAS Doc page for some general information.

Pequadt

Dabbler
Thats saying that your 1000Mbit network card is only connecting at 10Mbit. THAT is you problem. you can try adding an option to the interface to force it to use a faster connection IF the modem supports it.

In your interface config screen add media 1000baseTX mediaopt full-duplex to the options section. If this does not work, you may have to use a keyboard and monitor on the FreeNAS server to reset and configure the interface. Please review the FreeNAS Doc page for some general information.

I tried to configure as you said, but now I have no access to my FreeNAS from my computer, it seems that I broke it :')
I'm going to try to put everything as default, and then I'll try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.