Low capacity AMD build

tupui

Dabbler
Thanks @joeschmuck for the refs, I will make sure to do that!

tupui

Dabbler
So, I got everything installed and set up. Thank you again for all your help, it really helped and I am quite happy with the result.

The current config is:
  • Eaton Ellipse ECO 1200 750W
  • Fractal Design Node 804
  • be quiet! Pure Power 11 550W Gold Full modular
  • Supermicro MBD-X11SCL-F-B Bulk
  • Intel i3-9100F
  • 2 x Kingston Server Premier 16GB 2666
  • 10Gtek (Intel x520-DA1 SPF+) and to connect to the laptop a thunderbolt 3 to 10Gbe SFP+ QNAP T310G1S. Hence I have an OM3 fibre.
  • WD Blue SN570 NVMe 250GB
  • RaidZ2 6 x Seagate IronWolf 4 TB
  • 3 Noctual NF-A12
  • 1 Noctual NH-L9x65
  • Cable, I am over the moon with some nice sata power cable and data cable. Without it cabling is such a mess and now super clean.
With iperf3 the 10 Gbe link is working as expected. And playing on the disk I get close to 5Gbe (iperf3 -s -F file.zip). Copying real life data from SMB, I was around 300-400 MB/s which is perfect for me. Only thing is that I needed to use async for that. From my reading, should be fine since I don't mind if there is a crash for some reason and I lose a few sec of data transfer.

Only big annoyance was to set up fans! This MB does not like that Noctua's can go to 0 (or close to it). I found 2 solutions involving ipmitool:

1. Force constant speed: set to full speed in UI and then adjust raw values to desired level.
  2. Standard setting and overflow the sensor lower thresholds. This is ugly as I have a constant "Lower Non-recoverable", but it does not do anything and the standard settings still work. Meaning it stills adjust the speed if CPU or disk usage goes up (I stressed the CPU with mprime and did some long SMART). It also stays after a reboot as opposed to setting manual values with raw.
For now I have 2. I might instead do 1 to have higher base values. I am not sure yet if it's work the trouble. Also I don't really want to play with scripts. Too annoying to maintain all that in the long run IMO. Still this was a great ref: https://github.com/petersulyok/smfc

Etorix

Wizard
Only big annoyance was to set up fans! This MB does not like that Noctua's can go to 0 (or close to it).
Known issue. You may want to look into those for a comprehensive solution:

tupui

Dabbler
Known issue. You may want to look into those for a comprehensive solution:

Oh woooo. I did not see this ressource while searching. Thanks it looks really cool. I will have a read at the code and see if I use this then.
EDIT: this is gold. Great quality scripts there and works perfectly.

It's a bit sad that Supermicro still hasn't fixed this issue though...

Last edited:

Etorix

Wizard
Supermicro sells server boards in server cases with server fans and does not care how its default settings work in consumer cases with consumer fans.

tupui

Dabbler
Yeah this is unfortunate. Although I would note that Supermicro is also promoting some consumer like fans: https://store.supermicro.com/120mm-fan-0124l4.html (always interesting to see the difference of investment between HW and SW from these companies).

Also it seems like something TrueNAS itself could have an official fix for no? Considering all small systems out there, it does not look that wild of an idea to support top of the line "consumer" fans.

Last edited: