Lost Access to the Scale GUI. Can I set GUI port from SSH?

rs_taylor

Explorer
Help! I no longer have access to the GUI.

Basically i installed Traefik & set it to port 80, changed Scale GUI to 81 and rebooted, all worked well until i later decided to reboot the server with an older boot instance. It appears Traefik is still set to 80 and now Scale GUI as reverted to the old config (port 80)
I dont have phsyical accesss to the server but the Apps on other ports, Shares & OpenVPN are all working as is SSH.

Can i remove App (Traefik) that is currently using port 80 from SSH?
Can i change the Port the Scale GUI uses with accessing the GUI (i found a can change the config file but this is not effective immediately and changes are lost upon reboot)
Without physical access, i cant simply reboot and choose the newer instance with the GUI on 81 :(

indivision

Guru
I don't know this area well enough to give exact solution. But, have you explored reaching the apps via kubectl?

Code:
k3s kubectl --help

Probably helpful:

Code:
k3s kubectl get pod -o=custom-columns=NODE:.spec.nodeName,NAME:.metadata.name --all-namespaces

and:

Code:
k3s kubectl stop <pod name>

Last edited:

rs_taylor

Explorer
Briefly when frantically searching google, but without any experience of Kubernetes i was a little worried id make things worse haha

indivision

Guru
Briefly when frantically searching google, but without any experience of Kubernetes i was a little worried id make things worse haha

Understandable. I would worry about the same as it's new territory for me.

You could wait for someone with more experience to clarify. But, from what I found searching around it looks pretty straight forward.

It seems like you should be able to use above commands to stop traefik without much risk. No guarantee given though! :D

I'm just wondering if stopping Traefik alone will give you access without a reboot... Not sure.

Last edited:

rs_taylor

Explorer
My Kubernetes gave me an error, suggesting that it didn't support the STOP command.
Back to Google, i read that STOP is now deprecated and the DELETE command covers this functionality.

I haven't tried DELETE yet, sounds a little more destructive that STOP haha

neofusion

Contributor
I don't know the right way to shut Traefik down but I suspect you might need to do a "systemctl restart middlewared" afterwards, unless the system handles that part itself. It should reload the webui and hopefully grab the then free port 80.

Edit: Or if that doesn't do it, you could try "systemctl restart nginx".

indivision

Guru
Hm. Yeah. Delete does sound more destructive. Also, neofusion raises a good point. There might be a middleware API that is the proper way to reach kubectl so that TrueNAS itself remains up to date with what has happened. If that gets messed up you potentially would have to either run some kind of re-sync maintenance or even re-do all apps.

I just don't know that part of the system well enough to confidently say. Hopefully, someone else who does will chime in...

truecharts

Guru
My Kubernetes gave me an error, suggesting that it didn't support the STOP command.
Back to Google, i read that STOP is now deprecated and the DELETE command covers this functionality.

I haven't tried DELETE yet, sounds a little more destructive that STOP haha

Delete will just create a new pod and even scale-down would not stop the loadbalancer laying claim to the port.
There should be a few examples on this forum and our Discord for App (not pod) deletion using the TrueNAS CLI or using the TrueNAS CLI to change the TrueNAS port :)

rs_taylor

Explorer
I managed to get someone to connect to server and reboot into latest working instance.

Thanks for the suggestions though