Traefik - Can't access the dashboard

sammie

Cadet
Ahhh!!!!! I see. My Traefik doesn't have the ports listed! So does that mean I just don't need MetalLB at all? I'd like to make sure my apps are reachable via their own 192.168.0.0/16 address. Or, I suppose I can just let traefik handle everything (since I have a domain), use something like Heimdall, or just get over myself and use the open button in the TrueNAS GUI.

So, how do I fix my mistake? I'm assuming it's just work backwards by deleting MetalLB and re-enabling TrueNAS's integrated load balancer?

I'm at work, so I can't check right now. I'll try again tonight and let you know.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Well, that's a complicated set of requirements...

Each app has its own IP, so all ports are available, meaning none shown as published to the NAS IP.

Traefik, too will have its own IP, so the dashboard is going to show up there... And that's the IP you need to point your port forwarding towards, not your NAS.

More explanation if required, let me know if that made sense.

The metallb instructions tell you how to find the IP for each app.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You're right about how to walk it all back if you prefer and just use Traefik & domains or paths to separate apps. The open button should work then in addition to anything you do with URL-based redirection.

You might even get everything to play nice with Traefik and MetalLB and have the button work... not sure about that though.

sammie

Cadet
@sretalla you brilliant person you! That totally fixed it. Thank you! Man, I just followed the getting started and must have missed that I don't need both at the same time. Oh well. Live and learn! That was totally it. I did mange to figure that by entering k3s kubectl get svc -A at a shell I was able to see the ip address that MetalLB assigned to Traefik. I even saw that port 9000 was opened. However, when I tried to access that, it gave me a 404 page not found error. So for anyone else running into this, MetalLB and Traefik do not play nice together. In retrospect, I could have tried to install Cloudflared into each container and used Cloudflare like a reverse proxy. But that kindof defeats the purpose of a container. Plus, that would have borked every update.

So, consider this SOLVED!!! Use Traefik or MetalLB, but not both.