Logs show almost daily UPS "disconnection"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use this workaround, but still get the , data for UPS is stale' messages :confused:

Z300M

Guru
Rather than simply adding "MAXAGE 25" by the means suggested above, I opened the upsd.conf file in an editor to see what was there already and found the single line

ISTEN 0.0.0.0
^
That is not a typo on my part: it's "ISTEN" rather than "LISTEN" -- the same both in /usr/local/etc/nut and in /etc/local/nut.

Isn't this a bug that should be reported?

Z300M

Guru
Rather than simply adding "MAXAGE 25" by the means suggested above, I opened the upsd.conf file in an editor to see what was there already and found the single line

ISTEN 0.0.0.0
^
That is not a typo on my part: it's "ISTEN" rather than "LISTEN" -- the same both in /usr/local/etc/nut and in /etc/local/nut.
This is weird: when I went to edit the file to replace "ISTEN" by "LISTEN," that line changed as I moved the cursor across it: "ISTEN 0.0.0.0" became "LISTEN ......"

I was using the nano editor.

rogerh

Guru
This is weird: when I went to edit the file to replace "ISTEN" by "LISTEN," that line changed as I moved the cursor across it: "ISTEN 0.0.0.0" became "LISTEN ......"

I was using the nano editor.

Almost certainly a display artefact, or even a browser artefact, if you were using one. I used to see this a lot with no-name video cards and monitors and various kinds of X windows.

Jep.

So still the issue not solved

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I hear it's an issue way upstream in NUT itself, making it hard to fix at the FreeNAS level.

PowerWiesel

Dabbler
I got something new.
It seems to be important, that maxage comes first.

So open the
/etc/local/nut/upsd.conf file and insert maxage in the first line.

MAXAGE 25
LISTEN 0.0.0.0

Now it's fully working for me until restart.

Last edited:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Can I ask a really dumb question?

Instead of mounting the root writable in the appliance, blah blah blah blah,
why would you not just go to the services->UPS->settings, and enter the "extra parameter" in there? This places it in the upsd.conf file for you. Persistently.

PowerWiesel

Dabbler
Can I ask a really dumb question?

Instead of mounting the root writable in the appliance, blah blah blah blah,
why would you not just go to the services->UPS->settings, and enter the "extra parameter" in there? This places it in the upsd.conf file for you. Persistently.

Unfortunately this edits the ups.conf, not the upsd.conf.
In ups.conf you can change the pollingrate for example.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
oh right you are. Let's request this then.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
good pickup.

By the way, I (erroneously) put the MAXAGE in the ups.conf in the GUI, and to my surprise, it did not barf on it, and the service restarted just fine.

Not sure what that means--if indeed MAXAGE goes in upsd.conf and never ups.conf, I would have expected the service startup to barf on syntax.

Wim Mistiaen

Dabbler
Excuse me for necro'ing this threat, but i felt it would be better than creating a new one, seeing it'sthe exact same topic.

I was wondering, would it help putting
Code:
echo "MAXAGE 25" >> /use/local/etc/nut/upsd.conf
mount -r /
service nut restart

in a startup script, untill FreeBSD fixed the bug?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Excuse me for necro'ing this threat, but i felt it would be better than creating a new one, seeing it'sthe exact same topic.

I was wondering, would it help putting
Code:
echo "MAXAGE 25" >> /use/local/etc/nut/upsd.conf
mount -r /
service nut restart

in a startup script, untill FreeBSD fixed the bug?
This is exactly what I did using the init scrip section of the GUI.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
and it worked fine? I like it.
Good hack, guys.
So I don't really reboot anymore so it's hard for me to say and I don't feel like rebooting just to test this out. But it has worked 1 out of 2 times. The time it didn't work I'm pretty sure it was a timing issue and I might put a sleep into the command to make it more consistent. I think it works great because I can forget about the issue and if I start seeing the log messages I already have the commands saved so I can easily execute them.

baranbaran

Cadet
no pal.....do not worry about this......

Wim Mistiaen

Dabbler
It didn't help for me by the way.

I put this script in a .sh file on my pool, and run it at startup, but i still get the sata stale/drive disconnect messages :(

Code:
#!/bin/bash

echo "MAXAGE 30" >> /etc/local/nut/upsd.conf
service nut restart

exit 0

Status
Not open for further replies.