Logitech Media Server 7.9.2 install into FreeNAS 11.2 iocage jail (11.2)

Frank Collins

Explorer
The heading of this is very specific because it has only been tested with these versions. These instructions are from PMs with KrisBee who gets full credit for overcoming my my lack of knowledge and achieving success with the instal. Thank you again, Chris.

Instructions below, with my comments in square brackets, [example];
*************************************************************************************************************
Create a new jail via webui, using 11.x release , VNET and setting allow_raw_sockets=1 (use release 11.2)

In jail do:

pkg info

check for latest p5-IO-Socket-SSL package and adjust XX
[I didn't understand this so used the pkg install below to install this package.]

pkg install nasm bash rsync gmake curl binutils faad2 sox flac mac libgd perl5 p5-IO-Socket-SSL-2.0XX
portsnap fetch extract
cd /usr/ports/audio/logitechmediaserver;make config install clean
cd /

edit /root/.cshrc to set correct locale
[I used ee as editor and it worked, though it doesn't look right when doing it. The lines appear mixed up.]
setenv LC_ALL 'en_GB.UTF-8'
setenv LANG 'en_GB.UTF-8'
setenv MM_CHARSET 'UTF-8'
setenv TZ Europe/London
[KrisBee, adjust for your geo location. Me, please look this up first as Country/City.]

test correctly set:

root@LMSjail:~ # locale
LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=en_GB.UTF-8

sysrc logitechmediaserver_enable="YES"
service logitechmediaserver start

set jail to auto start by setting jail prop boot=on etc. in WebUI
[I stopped the jail and had to use the jail shell CLI service start command again. I don't know if this is a problem.]
**********************************************************************************************************

I had a problem with the location of the music files to LMS because the music is on the NAS as well. I added mount points through the GU, I believe necessary, I but that did not add the files. What did work was the use of the UNC address, \\192.168.0.70\Music. LMS then scanned and a of the albums are now listed.

I use a Raspberry Pi 2 with PiCorePlayer as the Squeezelite client and Android app Squeezer as the remote control.

Update: I now have three Raspberry Pis (2 x 3B and 1 x 2) all loaded with PiCorePlayer and it works perfectly.
These instructions will NOT work with FreeNAS 11.3. Use this instead; https://audiodigitale.eu/?p=87.
The only thing left is to edit the jail and tick the box "Autostart".

A big thank you to Simone for his work at Audiodigitale.

Last edited: