Location is not available error

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfran1990

Patron
Location is not available error, points to my FreeNAS SMB share. has anyone had this issue?
I'm trying to back up the files from a win7 partition its about 250G and it is stored on a HDD. I think this is more than likely a Windows issue. I have tried to use a different switch at different speeds still the same thing.

Here is a screen snip of the error https://gyazo.com/24e68240877d1195095d2f9f3ab99bce

Last edited by a moderator:

joeschmuck

Old Man
Yup, this is an error message. The "Z:" drive mapping is no longer valid. Check the mapping to Z: and ensure it can locate the path you have for your share. If the share path does not exist then check your FreeNAS SMB share.

tfran1990

Patron
The weird thing is when transferring a large folder, everything goes good but it will give the error like 15 min. into the transfer. When the error happens the share is still operating as normal. (shows as a valid network location)

joeschmuck

Old Man
What is your FreeNAS hardware specs and what version are you running? Include the NIC info. I have personnaly had this type of error using a RealTek NIC.

tfran1990

Patron
Right now I am using the HP Proliant ML10. the HP spec page says it is a Intel® Ethernet Connection I219.
i3 6100
20gigECC
5x2TB
no SAS cards YET!

It was happening on FreeNAS 11.0 i just upgraded to 11.1U and getting the freenas_health is now warning (unrelated)i have not tried to move over the folder. could it be that the folder is too big? With FreeNAS being as robust as it is I would not think it would have any problems sending a single 250g folder, but i could be wrong.

I have even tried to map it a different way, With //ip/share and //netbios name/share

joeschmuck

Old Man
Exactly how are you sending this file? (I know this sounds like like a stupid question because I think I already know but assumptions can kill troubleshooting efforts) Meaning what computer are you using, OS, and are you using "copy/paste" or some application to move the data. It sounds like your FreeNAS machine is fine so it could be on your other machine or your network. Try connecting the two machines directly to each other. If they are using DCHP to get IP addresses then this could be difficult and you may need to establish static IPS. Is it possible that your computer is sleeping? or maybe you are active on it which would remove that consideration.

On your FreeNAS machine do you have a lot of jails or VMs running? Turn it all off except for SMB and see if that helps. If you still have the problem then I highly doubt it's the FreeNAS machine.

FreeNAS 11.0-U1 error message, everyone has it and there will be a fix for it but it's not critical. You could roll back to 11.0 if you desire. The folder size "should" not matter. People are transferring huge amounts of data all the time without issue. Based on your error message it appears the network dropped for some reason, it could be anywhere in your entire network.

tfran1990

Patron
Exactly how are you sending this file? (I know this sounds like like a stupid question because I think I already know but assumptions can kill troubleshooting efforts) Meaning what computer are you using, OS, and are you using "copy/paste" or some application to move the data. It sounds like your FreeNAS machine is fine so it could be on your other machine or your network. Try connecting the two machines directly to each other. If they are using DCHP to get IP addresses then this could be difficult and you may need to establish static IPS. Is it possible that your computer is sleeping? or maybe you are active on it which would remove that consideration.

On your FreeNAS machine do you have a lot of jails or VMs running? Turn it all off except for SMB and see if that helps. If you still have the problem then I highly doubt it's the FreeNAS machine.

FreeNAS 11.0-U1 error message, everyone has it and there will be a fix for it but it's not critical. You could roll back to 11.0 if you desire. The folder size "should" not matter. People are transferring huge amounts of data all the time without issue. Based on your error message it appears the network dropped for some reason, it could be anywhere in your entire network.

This folder is a partition from an old os that i had when i was using different hardware(which is now a back up mobo cpu and ram). if i ever need to use that old hardware i want to be able to partition a HDD then move all that data over. that way i dont have to reinstall windows.

im copy and past it to move it. inside my windows 10 os. could it be that something wont let me move system files in that partition because my windows account is not the same as the windows account that the older os (win7) sees? depending on the file it asks me for permission but fails because of something related to permissions. i dont think that would cause a network drop tho. i dont have any issues when using filezilla to send large files.

my freenas has a static address and so does my computer. windows 10 does use ipv6 and ipv4 and on my freenas im using ipv4 . maybe thats causing some weird translation issues.

im going to make a dummy file and see if i still get the same error on a different computer it may be something with my win10 machine. ipv6 may be causing issues.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Please perform a direct connection between your computer and FreeNAS, then transfer the files. If it works then you have some other network issue. You need to take this one step at a time. If this fails then you cna use a second computer to try and copy a large amount of data to FreeNAS. If that works then you have narrowed it down to likely the original computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.