Link Aggregation setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

bravo444

Explorer
Dear Professionals;

I'm trying to setup link aggregation and I have checked with http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_network.html document. But the network is not available after setting up. The environment is as follows.
PS: The link aggregation has been configured on switches.

Version: FreeNAS 9.10.1
NIC: em0 and em1 (2 NICs are installed and no issues)

1. I deleted 2 NICs
2. Configured link aggregation on GUI (I tried to add 2 NIC)
3. Go to console of freeNAS and go to Create link aggregation
4. I configured IP address (logical one)

However, the network connection was lost.

Please let me know if my setting is correct.

Regards,

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
What type of LAGG were you trying to setup? Are both NICs attached to the switch?

More often than not, most people don't have the proper setups to do too much with LAGG except for Fail-Over...

bravo444

Explorer
Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply. I just checked with Allied network and this switch doesn't support LACP. So I will try to select failover option. Yes, both NICs are attached to the switch.
My setup is correct right? (just choose failover function)

Regards,

bravo444

Explorer
Thanks! Sorry to ask you two more questions.

1. The protocol of failover is also possible to increase network bandwidth. (ex: 1000m x2 cables are bundled, so the bandwidth should be 2GB logically)

2. What is difference between LACP and failover?

Thank you!

Regards,

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
  1. Nope, that will just result in traffic being handled by one NIC. If that NIC should go down, then traffic will then be handled by the 2nd NIC. Think of it as if the first one should "fail"; then traffic is redirected "over" to the 2nd NIC.
  2. LACP = Link Aggregation Control Protocol; that is where you would be able to "Aggregate" the connections to obtain more bandwidth. However, to be able to get that your equipment will need to support it as well.
I noticed a few days ago that the FreeNASTeam posted a new YouTube Video on "FreeNAS® 9.10 - LAGG & VLAN Overview", give that a looksy and it will help you understand a bit more.

bravo444

Explorer
Thanks for your feedback! Sure, I understood. I will take a look at your video later on.

Again, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.