Laptop(2.5") hard drives for POC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RegularJoe

Patron

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Sorry but wdidle has nothing to do with spindown.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The Toshy MQ01ABB200 and the Samy Spinpoint ST2000LM003 (now technically a Seacrate drive) are the likely options.

The NAS-class option in 2.5" drives is the 1TB WD Red. It isn't clear why there isn't a 2TB WD Red since there's a Green.

I've mostly seen WD Greens killing themselves shortly after the expiration of warranty (nearly 50% seem to do so) so I'm not terribly impressed with that option.

Incidentally, note that 2.5" drives are NOT "notebook" drives. Notebook drives are notebook drives. Drives that are intended for other uses are NOT notebook drives. There are lots of other applications for 2.5" drives. Since both the WD and Toshy products are full height 2.5", it is hard to envision calling them a credible notebook drive.

A significannt upside to the Red drives would be proper TLER support.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Also meant to point out that Toshy is now offering the MQ03ABB300 - 3TB in 2.5" (15mm of course)!!

marbus90

Guru
There is also the Seagate Enterprise Capacity 2TB, model numbers are for the 4k native ones:
ST2000NX0263 (no encryption certification)
ST2000NX0323 (SED)
ST2000NX0333 (SED FIPS)

They're proper SAS Enterprise drives. Consumer drives are not my speciality.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Yeah, but at 3-4x the cost, you get fantastically better reliability out of several consumer drives (y'know, the whole RAID concept). If cost isn't a concern, ditch the platters entirely and go with a small fortune worth of HGST 2TB s846 SAS 6Gb s Self-Encrypting TCG Compliant 2.5" Internal Solid State Drives.

But I'm guessing for a POC that cost is an issue. I've been carefully looking at the three contenders because I'm actually getting ready to deploy a 24 drive 2.5" VM storage server and want to deploy a heterogeneous pool. I have a feeling a 2.5" Red might be coming so I'm thinking maybe I will deploy with 8 Sammies and 8 Toshies and just live with a temporarily smaller pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.