Kingston 4 x 8GB RAM problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, but I already ordered the Samsung modules.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HTC One_M8 met Tapatalk

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
And what about this ? They are listed as "8GB 1333MHz DDR3L ECC Reg CL9 DIMM QR x8 1.35V Server Hynix C" in one webshop...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Those are registered...

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
Ah, you're right, i overlooked that fact. OK so only way is Samsung ...

PenalunWil

Contributor
I've just had a conversation with one of Server Case Uk's Technical Staff and asked for clarification on the issues of using 2 x 8GB ECC RAM on the Supermicro motherboards in particular the X10 range.

His words... "You need to use Hynix or Samsung and only specific part codes. You can use Kingston or Corsair but they self validate and while it may work, it may not be 100% reliable. Also if you ever have an issue with stability and need support from Supermicro they won't offer it unless you are using the validated RAM. I will find the right 8GB part code for you..."

http://www.servercase.co.uk/shop/co...ddr31600mhz-ecc-unbuffered-memdr380lhl01eu16/

I hope that's some help to those who are still wondering which RAM make to purchase.

Wil

Nick Howard

Contributor
Typical, I just ordered two of the kingston 8gb modules yesterday. :confused:

PenalunWil

Contributor
Hi Nick, did the company your buying from give you any advice on you purchaes? That aside if they are not fit for purpose then you still have your rights to return and/or exchange them. I know what I would do ;))

Nick Howard

Contributor
Hi Nick, did the company your buying from give you any advice on you purchaes? That aside if they are not fit for purpose then you still have your rights to return and/or exchange them. I know what I would do ;))

I struggled finding any from SM's compatibility list here in the UK and I just went with the kingston due to numerous people here stating they've had no issues. I'm also led to believe the problem was only when adding 4 dimms and not 2. I'm fairly confident they should be OK but had I seen your post before I ordered I'd have gone with those from Servercase. Nevermind. : )

Z300M

Guru
I struggled finding any from SM's compatibility list here in the UK and I just went with the kingston due to numerous people here stating they've had no issues. I'm also led to believe the problem was only when adding 4 dimms and not 2. I'm fairly confident they should be OK but had I seen your post before I ordered I'd have gone with those from Servercase. Nevermind. : )
There are/were various Kingston 8GB modules. I don't recall what people have reported about the KVR16E11/8 modules you bought. The original discussion was about the KVR16E11/8EF, which was Kingston's recommendation for the Supermicro X10-series motherboards; they took them off the recommended list the day after I ordered mine (only two of them), then a short while later discontinued them altogether. Kingston now has no 8GB modules they recommend for the X10SL7-F -- only 4GB modules. The modules you bought are on Kingston's recommended list for the X10SLL-S, but that board has only two RAM slots anyway.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Thanks cyberjock. I don't know about you, but I won't trust these companies anymore for probably a long time. I think this really really bad practice and they probably will (and should) lose customers over this.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
And for those of you that are conspiracy theorists check this out:

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...itching-cheaper-components-after-good-reviews

Anyone still want to blame Supermicro for this?

My first thought when I first read that was "Nope. Not buying Kingston again.".

The memory ordeal was shady enough, but blame was hard to attribute. Shady replacements in SSDs? That's reason enough for me to put them on my no-buy list. At least Sony now has company.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I've always wondered who to blame, but secretly I felt it was a Kingston problem.

If Supermicro had changed something I'd have expected it to affect more than 1 brand. But only Kingston was affected...

crumbz

Explorer
When you search Kingston for compatible modules with X10SL7-F now you get two 8GB modules:

KVR16E11/8HB
KVR16LE11/8HB

When you search Kingston for compatible modules with X10SL7-F now you get two 8GB modules:

KVR16E11/8HB
KVR16LE11/8HB
I personally lost my trust in Kingston. Have you read the whole thread? Including the provided link a few posts earlier?

Z300M

Guru

KVR16E11/8HB
KVR16LE11/8HB
The KVR16E11/8EF modules I bought originally were on Kingston's list of supposedly independently verified-compatible modules too (but not on Supermicro's list), but a few days after I bought mine they disappeared from Kingston's list and a few days later went out of production altogether, so I would advise you not to stake too much on Kingston's compatibility claims. The Hynix modules I bought later (that are on Supermicro's list) cost a little less than those Kingstons that were not on the SM list.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
By this point in time, I don't think I'd worry about it too terribly much.

I mean, if I was buying a car, do I avoid all the manufacturers who've had some sort of problem at some point? VW? Toyota? etc?

I would if I knew they switched parts for cheaper parts that turned out to not work and intentionally didn't inform the customer about it.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Parts get switched out for cheaper parts all the time in this business. Happens all the time and the only way you find out about it is when something goes wrong.

Kingston didn't do sufficient testing after a part swap. I think we all agree that's way bad. I'd also say that the way they handled it sucked, but then again, that's not so uncommon.

Status
Not open for further replies.