Just getting started

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayH

Cadet
I have been looking at NAS software and was heading towards unRAID until I found Freenas. I have watched a lot of videos, read the FreeNas docs, and really like it.

I have a new Lenovo Thinkserver TS 440 xeon1225v3, with 24 Gb ECC Ram and six WD Red 3Tb drives. So I'm thinking of Raidz2.

I also have a new Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD. I'm interested in hearing thoughts on how you would set up the system. Raidz2? How would you use the SSD (if you would use it).

Is there anything else you think I need to get FreeNas working on this server? (Required things not just nice to have. Lol)

The server will be used to store a large photo collection, movies and music that will be accessed by 5 people (family) most likely Plex. It will also be used for 5 Time Machine backups. I use Seafile on Ubuntu 14.05 so I'm hoping to be able to use a Jail to keep using it.

Anyway, I am very happy to have found FreeNas!

Jay

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I would skip the ssd and configure your 6 drives as raidz2. Also do some research into time machine on remote file systems it can sometimes not work.

Glorious1

Guru
I have two macs backing up via Time Machine to FreeNAS on the local network over wifi. It works fine, except that every 3-6 months, Time Machine decides the backup cannot be verified and it has to start over with a new backup. I'm not sure if this is an inherent problem of TM over a network, over wifi, or a problem with the AFP implementation in FreeNAS.

D G

Explorer
Time machine has worked just fine for me except once I had the same problem at Glorious1.
I would highly recommend getting an UPS. It is required to run FreeNAS with peace of mind.
As for the SSD, I wouldn't bother using it in FreeNAS. I assume you've read Cyberjock's hardware guide and his Noob doc. I don't believe you'd benefit at all from using the SSD as a cache (read or write). You have enough RAM and your usage of it wont make sense to have an SSD cache. Like many have said on here, it can actually hurt performance.
Finally, yes, RaidZ2 is a good call.

joeschmuck

Old Man
If you desired you could use the SSD as the boot device however that is a waste of a 250GB SSD, I'd prefer a cheap 32 to 120GB SSD but that is entirely up to you, but I would use a SSD as a boot device over a USB Flash Drive. I'm not saying USB Flash Drives are bad, but a SSD beats them hands down in reliability. Do not use the SSD for a ZIL or L2ARC, you will likely loose performance and just add something else to complicate matters during a failure.

Be careful when looking at those Youtube videos, many were based on the old FreeNAS and state things like "any old PC will work". Thankfully you have reasonable hardware already.

Make sure you do not create a RAID via the BIOS, FreeNAS must use a Software RAID, that's the main warning I can give you.

jayH

Cadet
Thank you for all the great info. Ive read Cyberjocks guides and a powerpoint. Excellent resource! I will be getting an UPS today and hope to set everything up tomorrow.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Be sure to pick one which is compatible to avoid any problems ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.