Jails no internet access untill pinging router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

q_fleuren

Explorer
Hello,

Im wondering if anyone could help me figure out a problem i've been having with some but mostly one jail...

My server is currenlty connected via a managed switch to the router with a static ip.
nameservers set to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
default gateway set to ip of router.

the server normally has everything inorder and it it self never has problems connecting to the internet for upgrades or notification emails.

however some of my jails (all static ip) sometimes dont connect to the router which is needed for them like for example my nginx proxy for nextcloud.
so it can be accessed from my domain.

if i ping google.com inside the shell of set jail an error about not being able to resolve dns lookups pops up.
restarting the server or jail does not help. only recreating the jail does, untill the server restarts.

After much trial and error even removing the switch and directly connecting my server to the router
i've found that if i ping the router the issue resolves and works untill next reboot.
after seeing this it also turned out the router doesnt know the jail is on the network until it pings the router.

what may be the problem and how can this be resolved?

Maybe i could just make a cronjob that pings my router as the jail but i have no clue what kind of command this would be?

Code:
jexec jailID ping routerip

as root

help will be appreciated!

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
This sounds like an IP conflict. Do you have your jails IP range set to something outside of the DHCP range of your router?

q_fleuren

Explorer
This sounds like an IP conflict. Do you have your jails IP range set to something outside of the DHCP range of your router?

My apologies
for not giving this info to begin with.
at first the jail ip was in range of the dhcp server, on my router.
after walking into these problems i rescaled the range of the dhcp so everything all server and networking related devices are outside of the range of the dhcp.

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Just to confirm, you also have the range of IP's in your jail's configuration settings set to something outside your routers DHCP range as well?

q_fleuren

Explorer
yes, but these jails have a static ip adress outside the routers DHCP

these jails are reachable when i browse them, for example plex can be found on the network,
however it does not have internet access sometimes

when i check the ip in the list of devices its showing as unactive untill i ping the router from it.
afterwards it stays fine untill reboot

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Sounds like it might be a bug then. What version of FreeNAS are you on and what hardware are you running it on?

q_fleuren

Explorer
on FN 9.10.2 u2 to u4 had the problem for a while.

asrock c2750d4i
16gb ecc
3x4tb z1

q_fleuren

Explorer
Just filed ;)

q_fleuren

Explorer
could anyone help me create a command that will ping from the jail to my router every restart of server?

im not sure maybe its like:
Code:
jexec jailUID tcsh ping routerip

would that work?

Status
Not open for further replies.