Jail IP address?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ward0

Dabbler
Hello,

I have a freenas 8 beta3 setup working perfectly , but i have a problem setting up plugins :

My ip : DHCP > 192.168.1.8

What IP address do i have to use for my JAIL ip address???? I tried making an alias in the networking > interface section and used that IP ... But then freenas is telling me that i have to use an other IP ???

Can someone help me? Following a guide on youtube didn't help because they say : use your jail ip address that you know ...

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Jail IP is a new IP in the same network, _UNUSED_. Jail is _like_ a virtual machine, it needs its own IP.

ward0

Dabbler
Jail IP is a new IP in the same network, _UNUSED_. Jail is _like_ a virtual machine, it needs its own IP.

Thanks for your answer , But when i select a new ip address in my subnet and click next and finish the setup. Everything goes "well" until i try to load in a plugin then i get the error : the PBI folder can't be found ( IP problem )

joeschmuck

Old Man
A reasonable IP for you to use based on your message is 192.168.1.x (where x is a non-used address). Subnet mask should be /24 (255.255.255.0) and that is about it.

ward0

Dabbler
A reasonable IP for you to use based on your message is 192.168.1.x (where x is a non-used address). Subnet mask should be /24 (255.255.255.0) and that is about it.

Thanks for your input , but i know subnetting.. so thats not the problem. THe question that i have to what host does this has to redirect? I mean why point to a IP address , when no "client" is connected? Explain me pls.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Thanks for your input , but i know subnetting.. so thats not the problem. THe question that i have to what host does this has to redirect? I mean why point to a IP address , when no "client" is connected? Explain me pls.
I think that was explained in post #2 of this thread.

ward0

Dabbler
I think that was explained in post #2 of this thread.

I will retry.

So to the point :

I make 2 data mounts , i give an ip address that is not conneted to a host or anything .. just a blind free ip address and that should work?

atrdriver

Dabbler
I have this same question. I am using 8.2 however. I am attempting to install the plugin jail, and I can't get it to work. The freeNAS ip address is 192.168.1.157. I have set up the datasets for jail and software without issue. When I try to upload the .pbi file it gets to step 3 and never uploads the file. I have been researching this for 3 days and can't find anything that makes any sense to me. For the jail IP address I have tried everything from 192.168.1.158 to 192.168.1.254 (which are all free according to my router), with the subnet always being 255.255.255.0. Everything I have read says a free i[ address that is pingable from the NAS server. I don't know how to tell, I just know that the .pbi file will not upload. Please help, I really want to get this thing working but I'm at a stopping point.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I have this same question. I am using 8.2 however. I am attempting to install the plugin jail, and I can't get it to work. The freeNAS ip address is 192.168.1.157. I have set up the datasets for jail and software without issue. When I try to upload the .pbi file it gets to step 3 and never uploads the file. I have been researching this for 3 days and can't find anything that makes any sense to me. For the jail IP address I have tried everything from 192.168.1.158 to 192.168.1.254 (which are all free according to my router), with the subnet always being 255.255.255.0. Everything I have read says a free i[ address that is pingable from the NAS server. I don't know how to tell, I just know that the .pbi file will not upload. Please help, I really want to get this thing working but I'm at a stopping point.
Getting the Plugins pbi loaded has nothing to do with the IP address. The IP address could be dead wrong and that wouldn't stop the pbi from installing.

I think for someone to give you good advice you will need to describe your FreeNAS configuration. The following info may help out...
1) A screenshot of your plugins configuration window or a listing of all the settings.
2) Did you enter the paths by typing them in or did you select them using the browser? (hint: use the browser always)

atrdriver

Dabbler
Getting the Plugins pbi loaded has nothing to do with the IP address. The IP address could be dead wrong and that wouldn't stop the pbi from installing.

I think for someone to give you good advice you will need to describe your FreeNAS configuration. The following info may help out...
1) A screenshot of your plugins configuration window or a listing of all the settings.
2) Did you enter the paths by typing them in or did you select them using the browser? (hint: use the browser always)

I always use the browse button to select the paths. In the first box, where to upload the file, I don't change it from the default of /mnt/jacstore.

On the second screen the plugins jail path is /mnt/jacstore/jail

The Jail name is software

The jail IP address is where I am apparently having issues, but I have tried 192.168.1.158 to 192.168.1.254

The jail IP netmask is /24 (255.255.225.0)

and the plugins archive path is /mnt/jacstore/software.

I set up the jail and software datasets with no quotas. I can't figure out what is wrong here. When I select the .pbi file up upload on the third screen I get the flashing upload box, but all it does is flash, never shows any percentages, and it will stay on the screen as long as I care to wait for it. It is driving me crazy...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I agree with joeschmuck. I really don't see how your jail IP address has anything to do with your problem. It could be a symptom of whatever is wrong, but it is definitely not the cause.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I don't want to drag this out very long for you so I will just give you my advice based on my limited experience.

I recommend you first start off by upgrading to 8.3.0-Release as I personally haven't seen a single problem with the plugins with this version. It also puts you on the same playing field as most of the people in this forum who answer these questions because they are most likely to be running the latest version. If you are not running the 64-bit, I recommend you do as it's tested by the users more.

Ensure the plugins you download are the proper bit version for the FreeNAS version you downloaded.

Once you have upgraded to 8.3.0-Release then try the plugins again.

I will be tossing you a PM so we can possibly make quick work of this since there is no need to spend 3 days on and off to figure this out.

atrdriver

Dabbler
I don't want to drag this out very long for you so I will just give you my advice based on my limited experience.

I recommend you first start off by upgrading to 8.3.0-Release as I personally haven't seen a single problem with the plugins with this version. It also puts you on the same playing field as most of the people in this forum who answer these questions because they are most likely to be running the latest version. If you are not running the 64-bit, I recommend you do as it's tested by the users more.

Ensure the plugins you download are the proper bit version for the FreeNAS version you downloaded.

Once you have upgraded to 8.3.0-Release then try the plugins again.

I will be tossing you a PM so we can possibly make quick work of this since there is no need to spend 3 days on and off to figure this out.

OK, I upgraded to 8.3.0 Release x64. Set everything up the same as I had it before, and am still sticking at the same point. FWIW, the tab on the browser window says "connecting" the whole time after I press upload, at least until I cancel it. I know I must be doing something wrong here, but I sure can't figure out what it is...Let me know what other information you need from me...

joeschmuck

Old Man
OK, I upgraded to 8.3.0 Release x64. Set everything up the same as I had it before, and am still sticking at the same point. FWIW, the tab on the browser window says "connecting" the whole time after I press upload, at least until I cancel it. I know I must be doing something wrong here, but I sure can't figure out what it is...Let me know what other information you need from me...
Okay, so is it on Page 2 of 3 you press Upload Jail PBI and you see "connecting" or is it on Page 3 of 3 and you have already selected the plugin and pressed Upload Jail PBI (I hate that the buttons have the same wording).

EDIT: What web browser are you using?

atrdriver

Dabbler
I can select the .pbi file on step 3 and I press the upload button. That beings up the little box that shows upload progress, and it never changes.

joeschmuck

Old Man
The other thing I'm concerned with is you have the jail and software as datasets, not a problem provided the permissions are there to read/write. I prefer to just create the subdirectories manually vice using a dataset to create them.

Gotta Run, wife and daughter telling me we are leaving to spend my money.

joeschmuck

Old Man
atrdriver figured out the problem was a browser issue with Firefox. Chrome works fine. Not sure why Firefox failed but I suspect a cache issue maybe. So this mystery is solved.

atrdriver

Dabbler
atrdriver figured out the problem was a browser issue with Firefox. Chrome works fine. Not sure why Firefox failed but I suspect a cache issue maybe. So this mystery is solved.

Thanks a million. I can't believe it was something as simple as that. One more reason to switch to Chrome I guess :)

Status
Not open for further replies.