Issues raised in CORE. Fix proposed in SCALE?!

One of the issues I find with logging problems in JIRA is that they tend to disappear from public view. Here's an example of two issues that were logged under FreeNAS (late 2019/early 2020) and a fix is proposed for TrueNAS SCALE? Logically, they should have morphed to a fix under TrueNAS CORE. These issues are very pertinent to CORE users. What's going on?
  1. NAS-104469 - Shell does not select text accurately
  2. NAS-104912 - Add ACME DNS authenticators for Cloudflare and acme-dns

ornias

Wizard
Part of SCALE is also an UI overhaul, this UI overhaul will also make the next big release of CORE, but will most likely end-up in TrueNAS SCALE first.

As the developers are developing these UI fixed on the current SCALE Master, it's only logically to also file it as "Added to SCALE" once merged.

Part of SCALE is also an UI overhaul, this UI overhaul will also make the next big release of CORE, but will most likely end-up in TrueNAS SCALE first.

As the developers are developing these UI fixed on the current SCALE Master, it's only logically to also file it as "Added to SCALE" once merged.
It would be nice to believe that, but, the evidence doesn't support your assumption. For instance, if you follow the comments through for the second ticket, you'll notice that the developer has advised an end-user to raise a suggestion ticket to have the fix backported to CORE! That's very strange, considering the issue was raised on CORE.

These sleights of hand seem to happen with disturbing frequency in JIRA mainly because the issue loses community visibility. I've seen these emerging patterns:
  1. Issues closed before they should be. In my mind, an issue should only be closed when the fix is confirmed, preferably, by the reporter.
  2. Suggestions with more than 10 votes continuously being pushed back over months or years;
  3. And now, CORE issues being changed to SCALE issues. This is new!
Furthermore, if a fix is destined for both CORE and SCALE, that's how it should be recorded as in the example below.

jira1.jpg

Last edited:

ornias

Wizard
It would be nice to believe that, but, the evidence doesn't support your assumption.
Assumption is based on actively working with iX on one of the actual issues you linked.
That being said: Not every developer at iX is equally thorough in how they use they issuetracker, thats an issue that's quite widespread in the IT Scene.

In this case @waqarahmed didn't say you need to create a ticket to get cloudflare support ported he said:
"Nsupdate support has not been added to any TrueNAS version right now" refering to only a select part of the ticket, not the cloudflare part.

I find it a dickmove to expect foul play, without clear evidence of that being the case.

TLDR:
1. I agree iX should communicate more before closing tickets and give users the option of shouting "wait a second this isn't fixed yet"
2. iX doesn't render a list of 10-vote suggestions afaik, you can tag releasecouncil jira user of 10 are reached or directly send a shoutout to @Kris Moore if you think your 10-vote suggestion is overlooked. I've done so about 5 times this year with perfect success
3. Because SCALE is "Next Major" when it comes to UI elements. It really is that simple.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
SCALE is the next "major" version of TrueNAS we have slated. Fixes that are too big / intrusive for 12.0-U5 would end up in SCALE first, then get ported to 13.0 CORE/Enterprise next.