Is this a good card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayot

Dabbler
I found this on eBay and was wondering if it would work in my server. I want to replace two cheap cards with one nice card.
Code:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-LSI-9240-8i-8ports-PCI-E-6Gb-RAID-Controller-IBM-M1015-46M0861-US-Seller-/121463526396?pt=US_Computer_Disk_Controllers_RAID_Cards&hash=item1c47ca53fc

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yeah. You'll probably have to crossflash it like you would an M1015, but it's a good choice. Not sure about pricing, but it seems a bit high. Aren't there any better deals on LSI SAS 9211, 9207 or IBM M1015 cards?

kayot

Dabbler
They all come around the $105 to $120 range, then some absurd ones listed in the $1000 range. The sticky "Confused about that LSI card? Join the crowd ..." got me excited about a $75 great card. Reality sucks. That or it's because of the Holidays and I just need to wait it out.

Regardless, I want to get these two inferior cards out of my system. Ones a 2 sata port JMB36X and the other is a 4 sata port PCIx 1 budget card.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
They all come around the $105 to $120 range, then some absurd ones listed in the $1000 range. The sticky "Confused about that LSI card? Join the crowd ..." got me excited about a $75 great card. Reality sucks. That or it's because of the Holidays and I just need to wait it out.

Regardless, I want to get these two inferior cards out of my system. Ones a 2 sata port JMB36X and the other is a 4 sata port PCIx 1 budget card.

Oh, yeah, you definitely don't want those. I'm just surprised, because it's not much less than some "official" M1015s I've seen. Still a reasonable price.

Z300M

Guru

I kept an eye on eBay for quite a while without finding any M1015 cards for less than about $100: the $75 estimate was posted a long time ago, I think.

Last edited:

kayot

Dabbler
@Z300M - Do you have any good leads on a legitimate M1015 Card?

I'm still new to NAS. I've played with Linux distros and Windows this and that. Up till now I didn't know how different SAS was. I used to think it was just a four way split for Sata and I had no idea that a two port SAS could run 24 platter drives at full speed under Sata III. It's very important that I do this right to avoid a bad experience.

Edit: What would you both suggest for a SAS Expander board?

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

I'm still new to NAS. I've played with Linux distros and Windows this and that. Up till now I didn't know how different SAS was. I used to think it was just a four way split for Sata and I had no idea that a two port SAS could run 24 platter drives at full speed under Sata III. It's very important that I do this right to avoid a bad experience.

Edit: What would you both suggest for a SAS Expander board?

The Intel RESwhatever 24-port expander is popular and works well, but it's more expensive than a second HBA.

Z300M

Guru
I bought from a US seller an M1015 that was (IIRC) described as having been removed from a working server -- not an allegedly genuine LSI board from someone in China with a large quantity of them for sale.

kayot

Dabbler
Dang, it looks like everything on eBay is from China or stupidly expensive and still ultimately from China. I've heard that those China boards have a high failure rate and don't pass QA, how true is that?

Found this
Code:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816118112

It's more expensive, but probably isn't a China knock-off.

The reason I'm interested in an expander is that the motherboard in question only has one PCI-x 8 slot. I figure it would be a good future proofing measure to make it so I don't need two. This would come later when I'm more competitive.

My apologies for asking sporadic questions. I'm researching as I ask. I'm also removing questions that I answer and it's making my post look fragmented.

Z300M

Guru
Dang, it looks like everything on eBay is from China or stupidly expensive and still ultimately from China. I've heard that those China boards have a high failure rate and don't pass QA, how true is that?

Found this
Code:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816118112

It's more expensive, but probably isn't a China knock-off.

The reason I'm interested in an expander is that the motherboard in question only has one PCI-x 8 slot. I figure it would be a good future proofing measure to make it so I don't need two. This would come later when I'm more competitive.

My apologies for asking sporadic questions. I'm researching as I ask. I'm also removing questions that I answer and it's making my post look fragmented.
What about eBay Item# 151507717461 ?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
At least in Europe, Amazon (not a third party, Amazon) has M1015s for sale for 150ish bucks, last I checked. It's not a bad route if you're paranoid about stuff that fell off the back of a truck in Shenzhen.

Z300M

Guru

kayot

Dabbler
Ah, so just put it in and run it. Maybe a little benchmarking etc.

Thank you both for the help. I'm realizing that I'm stepping into a bigger world now. My motherboard, cpu, and memory have to be replaced with server grade equipment. I'm totally going to do it to. It's time I move beyond what is easy and start doing what is right. For my data's sake.

Z300M

Guru
Ah, so just put it in and run it. Maybe a little benchmarking etc.

Thank you both for the help. I'm realizing that I'm stepping into a bigger world now. My motherboard, cpu, and memory have to be replaced with server grade equipment. I'm totally going to do it to. It's time I move beyond what is easy and start doing what is right. For my data's sake.
What motherboard are you using now? Does it have an x8 slot? I'm asking because I have read that some motherboards (I have no information about which ones) will accept only video cards in their x16 slots.

kayot

Dabbler
It was a quick budget build, M5A78L-M LX with a FX 4130 Chip. It's using non-ecc ram too. That's three bad things in a row. The sad part is that using the recommended system guide, I could have spent the same amount and got server grade equipment. I have no idea if the ordered card will work so I'm riding by the seat of my pants until I get better equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.