Hardware check before buying...Please advise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easygoer

Explorer

Easygoer

Explorer
That card looks fine.

Or is there a card that works right out of the box that does not need cross-flashing. Thanks.

danb35

Hall of Famer
An LSI 9211-8i would be a little simpler to flash because you wouldn't have to zero it first, but you'd still probably need to flash the card to get the right firmware version. That really isn't difficult and can even be done from FreeNAS.

Easygoer

Explorer
An LSI 9211-8i would be a little simpler to flash because you wouldn't have to zero it first, but you'd still probably need to flash the card to get the right firmware version. That really isn't difficult and can even be done from FreeNAS.
Thanks for the suggestion. I see from your build that you are probably using the same card. I guess I'm sold on that idea. Is eBay still the place to look for one, new or used?.

Easygoer

Explorer
I found this link on eBay....would like your opinion on it.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-IT-Mode-...245650?hash=item43e72c3fd2:g:xrgAAOSwZ1lWcy3~

Description says:

"IT Mode only!
New 9211-8i SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller - In Bulk packing box.
Brand New! Flashed to IT mode. One year warranty. Firmware version: P19"

So does that mean I'm good to go as is?. Is P19 the correct version for Freenas 9.1 (I upgraded from 9.3 to 9.1 a few days ago).

Thanks.

Easygoer

Explorer
Thanks very much for your help. Will post later after install.

Easygoer

Explorer

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'm afraid I don't really have any advice on that issue, as my M1015 is installed in a rack-mount server chassis (as you see in my sig). However, 90 F seems like an awfully conservative temp limit.

Dice

Wizard
For those like me who do not use a server chassis, do you recommend using a PCI slot cooling fan to blow air across the heatsink of the LSI 9211-8i?
I run the bigger brother 9201-16i which, from the top of my head, has twice the thermal output of the 9211-8i. I've added a tiny 50mm fan "merely" screwed into the heatsink using two screws. Beyond that, I've put a resistor on the fan, lowering the speeds significantly. This has done the trick for me.
15w is a lot of heat for these super tiny heatsinks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.