Is there a way to set Scrubs / S.M.A.R.T. test to run bi-weekly?

I've just upgraded to 11.2 and one minor change I've noticed (compared to 9.10.2-u5) is that I can no longer set Scrubs or S.M.A.R.T. tests to run bi-weekly on the same day of the week.

I'd like to be able to set Scrubs to run on every other Moneday. Is it possible in the new Web UI?

D

dlavigne

You should be able to if you select Custom from the time selector.

I've tried everything I can think of but I can't. If I set a day of the week for either the Scrub or S.M.A.R.T. test to run on, it runs every week and if I input a number for which day to run it one, say day 14, it runs of the 14th. That 14th could be any day of the week though. Which means that if I want to avoid Scrubbing my pool on the days where my server gets the heaviest usage (i.e. Sunday), I have to have it run at minimum once a week.

Here's the interesting bit...

It actually appears that the functionality I'm after... the ability to set it to run every X number of days (so that it always occurs on the same day of the week) is still available in the old UI but not the new UI. Or perhaps I should say it's not yet available in the new UI.

blueether

Patron
on the scrub entry (new UI) you can still set the "threshold days" to 14 and set the "Schedule" to weekly and the day you want that should work?

Doesn't look like you can do the same for SMART tests.
1566456529911.png

To clarify, you have tried the custom selector?

I am using the custom selector but I think I'm gonna have to eat crow here....

I configured my Scrub and S.M.A.R.T. schedules several years ago. I followed Cyberjock's recommendations in this thread here - https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/scrub-and-smart-testing-schedules.20108/

I don't know when or how but at some point, I got it into my head that Scrubs ran every 14 days and that a similar thing could be said of the S.M.A.R.T. tests. I'm gonna go out on one of the few limbs I have left at this point and say that I think there should be a way of settings said tasks to run on that kind of schedule, i.e. every X number of days rather than by calendar date (in order to avoid Scrubs and S.M.A.R.T. test running at the same time or more to the point, on days where my server will be under load), but considering how I've been brought back down to earth recently in regards to FreeNAS... who am I to make suggestions?

I'm think what blueether has described might work though.

on the scrub entry (new UI) you can still set the "threshold days" to 14 and set the "Schedule" to weekly and the day you want that should work?

Doesn't look like you can do the same for SMART tests.

That might accomplish what I want, thanks.

It would be nice if the effect of the threshold setting was reflected in the calendar though.

That sounds like a good feature request. If you create one at bugs.ixsystems.com, post the issue number here.

Done.

https://jira.ixsystems.com/browse/NAS-102931

That was my first ticket, so I hope I did it right.

I guess that if the threshold was reflected in the UI, it'd basically offer the functionality I'm after in regards to an every X number of days setting.

I know it's kind of silly celebrating having X number of posts on a forum but this was my 100th, which you get a trophy for. It makes me feel good knowing that in my 100th post, I was contributing to the project in some small way.

Last edited:

blueether

Patron
The scheduled setting is a cron interface, and that has no (easy) way to do x days other than first loading a script before running the real command, it looks like the scrub task is first checking the elapsed days then doing the scrum where the SMART is just directly running the SMART test