SMART test overhead & scheduling?

rvassar

Guru
depending on what cameras you have, is it possible to record a SUB stream?
(i have 4 4MP IP cameras, i view the live stream @ 2k 30fps but i have them record the data on motion at 1080p or 720p SUBSTREAM)

Again, I'm not willing to discuss specifics of the cameras in a public forum, and it's very much a work in progress in any event. I am looking at motion detection on the low res substreams, linked to recording the high res main streams. This thread is more focused on the impact of continuous activity on periodic SMART tests. I have concluded that the duty cycle of the surveillance application can have a profound impact on what most FreeNAS users here consider a trivial/minor weekly/monthly task.

Snow

Patron
Oh I get it security is Opsec. I could see that happening some times its not the amount of data the Cams can push it when its the amount when you hit that 8, 16. 32. funny things start to happen

People think Western Digital was crazy for making CCTV Hard drives they where not.
Ive had systems that Ive replaced Black, Red or even Sea Gate enterprises drive's and pop in 2 or 4 Purples and it fix's the problem. I'm guessing most people Thought it was a fad but Western Digital figured it out fast. I'm surprised Sea Gate didn't jump on the bandwagon sooner.

depending on what cameras you have, is it possible to record a SUB stream?
(i have 4 4MP IP cameras, i view the live stream @ 2k 30fps but i have them record the data on motion at 1080p or 720p SUBSTREAM)

Yes you can most tech will set your Fps per a cam down to like 12-20 FPS as it helps with a lot of stuff. Most NVRs, DVRS will only do half or one quarter of the streams at full 30FPS.

rvassar

Guru
People think Western Digital was crazy for making CCTV Hard drives they where not.
I've had systems that I've replaced Black, Red or even Sea Gate enterprises drive's and pop in 2 or 4 Purples and it fix's the problem.

Have you noticed any differences in SMART test completion times with the WD Purple? That was one of the things I was going to go find, the list of behavioral differences. They may handle testing differently internally, to permit the write load without blocking the test.

Snow

Patron
I was usually called in after there was a failure, never did a smart test on the new drives after they where all set up.
The systems that I did have set up to send alert's. I never did receive any thing bad, of course none of these used FreeNas.
I just know that The WD Purps fixed a lot of problem's we had with Nvr's. I do plan on putting in pool of raidz1 of 3x1TB or 2TB of them in. At this time its just 1 drive and its in my NVR. I just looked and my NVR does not even have a way to do a smart test.