Is 13-0 Stable or experimental.

Paul5

Contributor
On IX download 12-XX is legacy, fine, so 13-0-Stable then. On Truenas Upgrade It asks me do I want to change trains, I say OK but then from what I read it is 12's successor and not Scale so why the change trains, It still TN Core.

I then get 'This is not a production release, and should only be used for testing'

Could I be any more confused. Is it the successor, is it stable, can I just cancel the upgrade. What do I do?

Stable or not.png

LarsR

Guru
It is the successor to 12.xx but for enterprise use its advised to wait to upgrade until 13.0-U1/2
You can Upgrade but there may be still some bugs in need of fixing and everyone who updates is essentially a "beta" tester and you're welcome to report any bugs you find.
And the train change is to change the update train from 12 to 13 so you get notified when there's an update for 13

Paul5

Contributor
Note: all my other upgrades have been manual and this is my first TN internet connected upgrade. So I have never seen any of this before.

'This is not a production release, and should only be used for testing'

If it's beta why mark is as stable?

I also just noticed that I can't upgrade anyway. It seems 13-U1 Breaks SMB.

Last edited:

souporman

Explorer
Note: all my other upgrades have been manual and this is my first TN internet connected upgrade. So I have never seen any of this before.

'This is not a production release, and should only be used for testing'

If it's beta why mark is as stable?

I also just noticed that I can't upgrade anyway. It seems 13-U1 Breaks SMB.
It's not really "beta" it's stable for the free users--who are us. TrueNAS Core is kinda like the CentOS of TrueNAS Enterprise. We the people get to use this amazing technology for free, and if we so choose, we can even jump on the latest bleeding edge version of it, because many of us just love to tinker. If you are running TrueNAS Core professionally, do like they say, and stick to the versions that are the most reliable until they say otherwise. If you are running TrueNAS Core in your homelab, well you do whatever you like. Personally, I like to jump on new features and designs, but I also always make sure I have good backups before any upgrades. That being said, I always stay on the recommended release for work.