Question regarding upgrade form 12.0-U8.1 to 13

cgcmgr

Dabbler
Hi everyone,

A few question regarding upgrading from 12 to 13.

First, a question regarding updating Jails on 12. I'm running 12.0-U8.1 and have two existing Jails, both showing 12.3 RELEASE-p5. I created another Jail recently and the choice I have when creating it is 12.4-RELEASE-p3. I'm wondering if I can update my two existing jails to 12.4 and if I do, will it break anything? All I have is these jails is Emby.

Second question. When going to updates in TrueNAS, is shows TrueNAS-12.0-STABLE – Release Train for TreuNAS 12.0. Legacy, now end of life.. If I hit the dropdown, I see TrueNAS-13.0-STABLE – Release Train for TrueNAS 13.0 [release]. Can I just select that and allow it to update? If it does update to 13 successfully, will it break my Jails? After updating to 13 would I have to update the existing Jails? Would Emby break? I'm assuming Emby would break. Would I just need to update Emby to the 13 version for it to work again?

Third 4uestion. If updating to 13 fails, what is the method to go back to 12? Is there a link to a tutorial or anything like a KB article that explains how to revert back?

Lastly, Does it make sense to update to TrueNAS Scale? Can I go directly from 12 to Scale? I'm assuming it would break my Jails and Emby.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Can I just select that and allow it to update? If it does update to 13 successfully, will it break my Jails?
Yes and No respectively.

After updating to 13 would I have to update the existing Jails? Would Emby break? I'm assuming Emby would break. Would I just need to update Emby to the 13 version for it to work again?
Existing jails will most likely continue to work on their current version, but upgrading them allows the system to run better... not needing to load older versions of things to keep the jails happy.

Third 4uestion. If updating to 13 fails, what is the method to go back to 12? Is there a link to a tutorial or anything like a KB article that explains how to revert back?
Go to System | Boot and select the previous boot environment... reboot, done.

Does it make sense to update to TrueNAS Scale? Can I go directly from 12 to Scale? I'm assuming it would break my Jails and Emby.
There are no jails in SCALE, so indeed they would be broken in the sense that they are no longer an option... the jail data remains on your pool though, so easy enough to transfer to an App (kubernetes container) instead if you can work that out.

cgcmgr

Dabbler
Thank you sretalla, I greatly appreciate the response. I will mess around with this tonight and report back if i have any issues.

cgcmgr

Dabbler
Just an FYI - I tried to update the existing jails from 12.3 RELEASE-p5 to 12.4-RELEASE-p3 using the update function within the Jail, but I got the attached error. I'm wondering if should use the shell command to perform the update, but then came across this thread - https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/update-freenas-version-of-emby-jail.83296/. Would you know if the resolution by nadinio works? I guess I'll try it and I'll find out.

Attachments

• Error updating Jail.JPG
    Error updating Jail.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 69

messenjah00

Cadet
Hi, did you manage to perform the update automatically?

In my case, I skipped the update for a few months after I saw the update to TrueNAS-13.0-STABLE for the first time. But now that I wanted to try the update I can't see the Release Train for TrueNAS 13.0 [release] anymore. There is an error refreshing the available update options --> Unable to connect to url https://update-master.ixsystems.com/TrueNAS/trains.txt: Automatic update check failed. Please check system network settings.

I have seen some threads regarding this error and they point to incorrect network settings but I haven't found anything strange so far.
Should I try manual update from 12.0-U8.1 to TrueNAS-13.0-STABLE ? Where should I start?

cgcmgr

Dabbler
I planned on building a new NAS anyway, so what I did was installed Core 13 on the new NAS and then pulled the drives from the old NAS and imported the pool to the new NAS. That pool contains my Emby server that was created on 12 and is still on 12. So TrueNAS is 13, but Emby Jail is based on 12. If I try to update the Jail to 13, I get an error. So what I did was I created a new Emby server based off of 13 and duplicated the two. One based on 12 and the new one based on 13. I plan on getting the one based on 13 perfect and then I'll back it up. I'm hoping I can create a third Emby server, this one being based on 13. Then I'll use the backup to make it a duplicate of the other one based on 13. Then I'll delete the one based on 12. I know there is no need for two duplicate Emby servers, but I like to have one as a "backup" of sorts.

Not really answering your question, bit in short, I just installed TrueNAS Core 13 on a new NAS and imported my old pool.

messenjah00

Cadet
Ok I just found out the problem is related to my Internet service provider Vodafone in Spain. More specifically it has to do with something called Vodafone Secure Net feature, which I believe was preventing TrueNAS from connecting to that host. o_O It detects as a threat something called link.storjshare.io