ipmitool threshold not persistent

Status
Not open for further replies.

verysneaky

Dabbler
Hi all, not sure if this is the right place for this so if not please move appropriately.

I'm having some trouble setting sensor thresholds in ipmitool. Using the command:

Code:
ipmitool -I lan -U ADMIN -H 192.168.xx.xx sensor thresh "FAN 1" lower 150 225 300

I was able to adjust the lower bound thresholds for my fans successfully. These have been persistent, and working beautifully. My Noctua fans no longer cycle between full RPM and minimum RPM (300). Great.

However, I noticed that the upper CPU Temp thresholds are a little high for my CPU. I'm running an E5-2660 V2 on a SM X9SRi-F, where the max operating temperature specified by the Intel product page is 75C.
The defaults are:

Code:
ipmitool -I lan -U ADMIN -H 192.168.xx.xx sensor list all
CPU Temp | 26.000 | degrees C | ok | 0.000 | 0.000 | 0.000 | 81.000 | 84.000 | 86.000

These upper limits are obviously above the max operating temperature for my CPU, so I thought it would be a good idea to revise these (happy to be told this is unnecessary) to 63, 68 and 73 using the command:
Code:
ipmitool -I lan -U ADMIN -H 192.168.xx.xx sensor thresh "CPU Temp" upper 63 68 73

Now, after running this I use the "sensor list all" command, which confirms that these upper limits have indeed been changed successfully. However, when I reboot the machine, these are changed back during POST. NOTE: only the "CPU Temps" parameter is reverted to default, the "FAN x" parameter value remains the adjusted value.

Has anybody had this issue before? Is there a way to fix it? Am I doing this for nothing?

Advice, suggestions, solutions all appreciated.

Cheers.

verysneaky

Dabbler
Update: Updated my firmware from 2.14 to 3.19 and issue is still persisting, I'll look into updating my BIOS to see if that makes any difference

Status
Not open for further replies.