iocage jails: how to properly install x509 root certificates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dwarf Cavendish

Contributor
Today I mostly successfully managed to create new iocage jails based on FreeBSD 11.1 so that I do not have to stay stuck on FreeBSD 11 in my jails. One small, yet important thing though: I found out that iocage jails do not come with x509 root certificates. I tried installing openssl (using pkg), but that didn't work. By accident I discovered that installing curl also sets up root certificates, albeit with the warning that the FreeBSD team cannot take responsibility for the complaince of those certificates.

So... is this just a standard disclaimer or should I actually take action to install certificates the proper way? And in the latter case: how?

danb35

Hall of Famer
ca_root_nss is installed as a dependency of curl, which is why you now have it. It’s the “standard” bundle of root certs.

Dwarf Cavendish

Contributor
I see. I take it that curl doesn't know about the certificates installed as its dependency and hence shows the warning, but it still feels a bit silly. But good to know that it's all fine :) .

Dwarf Cavendish

Contributor
Well, since it was installed as a dependency it makes sense that I saw it as I installed curl :) .

danb35

Hall of Famer
Oh, that message showed when you installed curl? Yes, that’s perfectly normal. I thought you meant it showed when you ran curl, which wouldn’t be normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.