Invalid Checksum on first time installation

RaelSR

Cadet
I'm new to TrueNAS/FreeNAS, but was recommended it a while ago and have been looking into setting it up. I'll soon be upgrading my personal computer, so the hope is that the old parts will form the new home-server running TrueNAS-core.

I downloaded the latest iso, verified the SHA256 hash of the download and proceeded to load it in VirtualBox (so I can get more familiar with the OS and it's setup/configuration before the real build).

Unfortunately, when I load the iso to boot in Vbox and try to run the install, after going through the initial setup decisions, I see an "invalid checksum" error on the base-os file. Searching for help, the main threads seem to be related to people upgrading and finding they have faulty hardware:

failedInstall.png

I decided to fire up a shell and look through the code myself, going so far as to manually run the code to see the expected and actual checksums the system is seeing:
ChecksumChecking.png

Expecting: "78eb90 (...) 8fd764"
Got: "f38606 (...) b28ac4"

Is there any way of working around this?
Or any explanation for how the checksum for the ISO would validate, but the runtime calculated checksum of the os file would fail.

If this is a hardware problem, I'd be worried about my plans to use this hardware as the homeserver.

For reference, the host machine (under the VM) is:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz, (VM running on only 2 cores)
16GB RAM (VM sees 9GB)
ASRock Z87 OC Formula