SOLVED checksum fail while installing FreeNAS 11.3

HeadCase

Dabbler
I can feel your frustration mistermanko. I have experienced about the same. I had my freenas running since 9.3 and it has been updated to 9.10 (cant remember exact versions). Going to 11.x version started a lot of problems just like yours. I tried usb2 kingstons that i have used earlier, tried new usb3 kingston (2 models) and also sandisk stick (32gb and 64gb). Every single one had problems and I tested them in all possible ports of mb (usb2 and usb3). Eventually I gave up and put old 500gb laptop drive to sata and installation worked on first try.
My system is:
Supermicro x10sl7-f
Intel xeon e3-1230v3
24gb ddr3 ecc

Pools were not connected at that point. And cdrom was connected to sata.
Now when i think those usb installs were done when i had pentium g3260 processor on that server.

@twitchingtongues hope you resolved your issues.

@HeadCase I'm rather conviced that they changed some parts of the installer between 9 and 11 that call specific functions (crypto i.e) in the CPU. That's where we did struggle. I'm still not 100% sure that it is my cpu rather than my motherboard. I switched to MICRON RAM in the meantime and issue still persists, what let's me think it's not a cpu-ram-related problem. A different mobo is on the way, let's see if it makes anything different.

All in all, the whole FreeNAS ordeal did cost me a good chunk of money I did not plan to spend on a file-server...
I hope the new board fixes it for me. Well, there is still a CPU to swap out for something else... ahh fuck... o_O

mihai

Dabbler
I had this problem on two HP Microservers.

What solved it for me was to replace the USB boot disks with an SSD disk.

GAmedia

Cadet
Hi, I've spent the whole day trying to install a fresh 11.3 U1 over my previous 9.3. NO WAY!
Have used every USB stick around from every brand and capacity, also burned several DVD with the triple downloaded and SH256 checked ISO! NO WAY!
I do not think that anyone could waste all this time in an update that should be stupid, smooth and painless!
I'm very disappointed with such lack of seriousness and professionalism in releasing a bugged system in such a critical area of use!

I'm wondering how valid and reliable these new versions actually are!
I will probably have to switch to the competitor to have an updated system that does not cost me other whole days of anger!
Tomorrow i will make one last attempt with both a mechanical hard drive and ssd!!! :mad::mad::mad:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Hi, I've spent the whole day trying to install a fresh 11.3 U1 over my previous 9.3. NO WAY!
Have used every USB stick around from every brand and capacity, also burned several DVD with the triple downloaded and SH256 checked ISO! NO WAY!
I do not think that anyone could waste all this time in an update that should be stupid, smooth and painless!
I'm very disappointed with such lack of seriousness and professionalism in releasing a bugged system in such a critical area of use!

I'm wondering how valid and reliable these new versions actually are!
I will probably have to switch to the competitor to have an updated system that does not cost me other whole days of anger!
Tomorrow i will make one last attempt with both a mechanical hard drive and ssd!!! :mad::mad::mad:
If you would like some help, perhaps you can start by explaning what NO WAY! entails... what exactly did you try that resulted in the process not working?

Also, the upgrade (it seems this is your plan) from 9.3 to 11.3 is not supported. You would first need to upgrade to 9.10 from 9.3.

You need to do your homework about what's supported before complaining about things that don't work as you expect.

Redcoat

MVP
Searching this forum, In a March '19 post, moderator Chris Moore described a safe approach for the upgrade to the then-current 11.2 from 9.3:

"First, upgrade from 9.3 to 9.10 because that changes the underlying version of BSD:
https://archive.freenas.org/9.10/STABLE/9.10.2-U6/

After that, upgrade from 9.10 to 11.1 because that does another upgrade to the underlying version of BSD:
https://download.freenas.org/11/11.1-U7/

<snip>
Then, you can go to 11.2, which does yet another upgrade to the underlying version of BSD:
https://download.freenas.org/11.2/STABLE/U5/ "

GAmedia

Cadet
If you would like some help, perhaps you can start by explaning what NO WAY! entails... what exactly did you try that resulted in the process not working?

Also, the upgrade (it seems this is your plan) from 9.3 to 11.3 is not supported. You would first need to upgrade to 9.10 from 9.3.

You need to do your homework about what's supported before complaining about things that don't work as you expect.

Hi, for me NO WAY have just one meaning! No way to install!
AND IT IS A FRESH INSTALL (as I wrote), NOT AN UPGRADE! clean USB of every brand and size! but no way at all to make it install!
My system works perfectly with the 9.3 install! So I COMPLAIN with an install that can't be used to actualize a previously working machine!
That is! And for shure I'll not spend any more money to change the hardware again! (dual xeon 5430L server with IBM1015 HBA and 24Gb ram).
kind regards.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
There's a good chance that your system could have a problem with the FreeBSD bootloader. This was switched in 11.1 if I remember right, so you could test that theory by using the last version of FreeNAS still using GRUB... Try 11.0 and see what happens.

You're still not helping a lot in explaining that it doesn't work at all (so I'm having to guess that you mean it installs but doesn't boot after that or won't even boot the installer). It was helpful to learn that you're trying to do a fresh install... would be interesting to know how you're going about it? (wiping the stick first or just selecting it from the list with the installer and allowing it to overwrite).

mpyusko

Dabbler
%Packages/base-os-11.3-U2.1-bc86b76ae495004d25ba5747c17e5282.tgz has invalid checksum

Trying to upgrade to 11.3. Just updated to 11.2-U8 about 10 minutes ago with no issues. This is the 4th time in a row I have received the same error message trying to attempt the 11.3 upgrade.

Dell R710
2X Intel E5640 Xeon CPUs ( Dual Hexa-core, 24 threads)
96GB DDR3-1333 Reg EEC DIMM
250 GB Samsung 850 EVO (L2ARC)
1 TB Intel 660p (ZIL/SLOG) PCIex4 bus
6x 3 TB WD RED NAS 5400 RPM (raidz2)
16 GB Sandisk Ultra USB 3.0 (internal USB 2.0 port)
LSI SAS-2011-8i HBA PCIex8 @5GT/s
4x Broadcom Limited NetXtreme II BCM5709 Gigabit Ethernet

And to note, I have not found anywhere that says FreeNAS should not be installed to USB. (Perhaps people are confusing it with Xenserver/XCP-ng?)

sretalla