SOLVED Internet access problem from my local lan

danny36

Explorer
Hi!
I'm new with truenas and I have instelled TrueNAS-13.0-U3 on a virtual machine with virtualbox on my pc windows. I have set bridge connection on the lan interface for the virtual machine and then set a static ip address for the em0 inteface then in the global configuration I have set the default gateway with the ip of my router attached to the interne and I have set a DNS with the ip of my internet provider BUT truenas can't reach internet, installation plugin fail for the dns problem and then ping to a url return "Unknow Host", instead Truenas can ping my local lan pc like my or other pc.
Someone can help me? I need to test some plugin because I want to create a Nas with truenas but I need also other software like web server, git, nextcloud, ecc..

danny36

Explorer
I have install fresh truenas on a physical machine, set static ip address, gateway and dns and also with physical machine it's impossible to access to internet for install plugins.

danny36

Explorer
Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 355, in run
await self.future
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 393, in __run_body
rv = await self.middleware.run_in_thread(self.method, *([self] + args))
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1154, in run_in_thread
return await self.run_in_executor(self.thread_pool_executor, method, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1151, in run_in_executor
return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 58, in run
result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 979, in nf
return f(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/jail_freebsd.py", line 372, in available
return self.middleware.call_sync('plugin.available_impl', options).wait_sync(raise_error=True)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 326, in wait_sync
raise CallError(self.error)
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] Cmd('git') failed due to: exit code(128)
cmdline: git clone -v https://github.com/freenas/iocage-ix-plugins.git /mnt/Pool320GB/iocage/.plugins/github_com_freenas_iocage-ix-plugins_git
stderr: 'Cloning into '/mnt/Pool320GB/iocage/.plugins/github_com_freenas_iocage-ix-plugins_git'...
fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/freenas/iocage-ix-plugins.git/': Could not resolve host: github.com

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
How do you have the bridged network defined in VirtualBox?

danny36

Explorer
Hi Samuel and thanks for reply.
I have set ethernet as a bridge.
Immagine 2022-11-11 090458.png

I have same problem with a physical machine.

Samuel Tai

Does your physical machine have a Realtek NIC? I see your VirtualBox host does. TrueNAS doesn't have reliable drivers for Realtek NICs.

Samuel Tai

Can you ping the 192.168.1.1 gateway from your physical machine? This smells like you have an IP conflict.

Samuel Tai

OK, then it's possible one of your DNS servers isn't working. Try setting 192.168.1.1 as your 1st DNS; most home routers run a caching-only DNS server.

From my testing, 85.37.17.5 isn't a valid DNS server.

danny36

Explorer
this is the screenshot of my router with the ip address of dns of my internet provider, I have set this ip on global configuration but without result, I can't ping nothing
Immagine 2022-11-11 163512.png
Immagine 2022-11-11 163535.png

Samuel Tai

Try using just the Google DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

Samuel Tai

This seems to be a problem on the router. What model of router do you have?

Samuel Tai

Your router manual doesn't shed much light, but I suspect this is due to the built-in firewall blocking IPs outside the DHCP range. What happens if you use an IP similar to your PC, like 192.168.1.150?

danny36

Explorer
Samuel you my hero!!! I don't know why but there was a rule in my router that limit natting on range 192.168.1.100/255. I swith truenes ip to 192.168.1.199 and now works.
Thank you very mych for the support.