DMZ Jail cannot communicate with LAN Jail

nromyn

Cadet
TrueNAS-12.0-U7
I'm trying to get a reverse proxy set up in a DMZ, which will then forward traffic (back through my router) to jails on the LAN. The intent is to get Snort to watch the traffic, mostly "because I can". The Reverse Proxy performs TLS decryption so that I have one place to work with certbot.

Two nics: LAN 10.0.1.0/24 and DMZ 10.0.2.0/24. DMZ does not have an IP, but it doesn't seem to matter. I have two bridges - one for LAN and one for DMZ.

From the reverse proxy jail I can ping:
* LAN and DMZ gateways;
* the Internet
* hosts in the LAN

However, I cannot ping LAN jails. LAN Jails, likewise, cannot ping the DMZ. So it would appear that somewhere in TrueNAS's network stack it's going wrong.

Nick2253

Wizard
Do you have gateways configured for your jails?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
If you want to use multiple network segments for jails, what is your router/firewall between those? You need to point the default gateway for each jail at that device (in the proper network) and if it's a filtering firewall, permit the traffic you want to pass. TrueNAS won't do that. It's not a network device. I use OPNsense.

nromyn

Cadet
The gateways are configured correctly
Code:
WAN - pfsense -- LAN
       |
       DMZ

Something changed overnight, and I've got communications up, as they should be. I suspect PEBCAK. Thanks for the responses