Jail in DMZ - FreeNAS in LAN

jerhat

Cadet
Hi,

I am new to FreeNAS and I really like it so far.

I am trying to have a jail sitting in my DMZ while keeping the FreeNAS host away from it.

My current setup is:
  • FreeNAS-11.3-RELEASE with
  • igb0: connected to my LAN with an IP assigned
  • igb1: connected to my DMZ, no IP assigned

What I tried is: uncheck DHCP and NAT in the jail creation screen and select igb1 for the interface and configure ip/netmask. However the jail cannot be created:

Stopped due to VNET failure

I used to do that in my previous setup (Proxmox running on the same box). How can I achieve this in FreeNAS? Shall I use a VM instead of a jail?

Thank you

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Have you tried with an IP from your DMZ subnet assigned to the igb1 interface?

jerhat

Cadet
Thank you stretalla.

I just tried your suggestion and it is actually also failing with the same error when trying to create the jail with igb1 configured. And it is also failing with igb0.

I could only create the jail when ticking DHCP (in which case it got its IP from my lan DHCP server).

So it does not seem related to the underlying nic being configured in not, but rather to the fact that I'm not using DHCP (nor NAT).

Is it supposed to be supported?

Thanks

sretalla