Intel igpu or Arc not showing up in Plex

reekme

Cadet
I have been trying for the last week now to get my intel igpu and Arc GPU to show up in Plex. I have done lots of searches and tried several different things and nothing seems to get it to show up. I have even nuked my install and done several clean installs ranging from the Beta to nightlies released yesterday. I have mostly been working from information from this post here when I run
Code:
kubectl get nodes -o=jsonpath="{range .items[*]}{.metadata.name}{'\n'}{' i915: '}{.status.allocatable.gpu\.intel\.com/i915}{'\n'}"
instead of 1 or 2 showing up nothing is listed. Please let me know what information you might need to help me out. I am more than new to this and have no idea how to do basic things, so if there is something you need me to do please spell it out for me or point me to a location that has detailed information on how to do said task. I am at my wit end here and on the verge of just going back to Windows for my plex Server.

reekme

Cadet
After doing some more reinstall it's almost like some settings are being held onto preventing this from working correctly. With each install, I pick to format the HD, But no matter what I don't see the option in Plex or any other App. Both GPU show up under Advance and I can even isolate the Intel Arc GPU. When I run "ls -alh /dev/dri" I only see the following

root@truenas[~]# ls -alh /dev/dri
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 40 Oct 3 15:29 .
drwxr-xr-x 19 root root 3.9K Oct 3 15:29 ..
root@truenas[~]#

When I run I get "lspci | grep -i vga"

root@truenas[~]# lspci | grep -i vga
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 4692 (rev 0c)
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 56a5 (rev 05)
root@truenas[~]#

So from what I have gathered that means the Server see's both GPU's but for one reason or another will not pass them to plex.

If I then run "sudo midclt call system.advanced.update '{"kernel_extra_options": "i915.force_probe=4c9a"}'" I get the following

root@truenas[~]# sudo midclt call system.advanced.update '{"kernel_extra_options": "i915.force_probe=56a5"}'
{"id": 1, "consolemenu": true, "serialconsole": true, "serialport": "ttyS0", "serialspeed": "115200", "powerdaemon": false, "swapondrive": 2, "overprovision": null, "traceback": true, "advancedmode": false, "autotune": false, "debugkernel": false, "uploadcrash": true, "anonstats": true, "anonstats_token": "", "motd": "Welcome to TrueNAS", "boot_scrub": 7, "fqdn_syslog": false, "sed_user": "USER", "sysloglevel": "F_INFO", "syslogserver": "", "syslog_transport": "UDP", "kdump_enabled": false, "isolated_gpu_pci_ids": [], "kernel_extra_options": "i915.force_probe=56a5", "syslog_tls_certificate": null, "syslog_tls_certificate_authority": null, "consolemsg": false}
root@truenas[~]#

shadofall

Contributor
Afaik arc support isn't available in the current kernel used by scale. As from reading first support for arc is kernel 6.0. which hasn't even been released yet (no clue on where Plex support even stands on non Linux even)

Can't comment on the igpu with out knowing the cpu model

Last edited:

reekme

Cadet
Well that solves one issue, Thank you for letting me know I can stop chasing that lead for no

reekme

Cadet
I guess I should have mentioned my specs and what version I was running sorry about that. My CPU is 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 and I am currently running Blufine Beta, I even tried the most recently nightly of it and still run into the same issue. The current version I am trying is TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12-MASTER-20220810-015225

reekme

Cadet
I have removed the ARc GPU just in case it was causing some issues with the igpu but nothing changed after removing it. I am going to try another clean install since I have removed the GPU and see if that changes anything

reekme

Cadet
Looks like I got it working, not sure what I did, but after removing the Arc GPU and re-ran the commands from this post and after a restart it now shows up in plex. I am not sure if it was removing the Arc GPU or re-running the commands that fixed it. I can tell you I ran those commands at least 5 TIMES so I think it was the Arc GPU that caused issues. I did not think it was going to work because after the reboot I checked the console and saw this

Oct 5 10:33:57 truenas kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: Direct firmware load for i915/tgl_guc_62.0.0.bin failed with error -2
Oct 5 10:33:57 truenas kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] GuC firmware i915/tgl_guc_62.0.0.bin: fetch failed with error -2
Oct 5 10:33:57 truenas kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] Finished loading DMC firmware i915/adls_dmc_ver2_01.bin (v2.1)
Oct 5 10:33:57 truenas kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] GuC firmware(s) can be downloaded from https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/tree/i915

I don't know if that is normal or what, but I am going to leave well enough alone for now