Installed Core.. Should I have installed Scale?

linus12

Explorer
Current Server is FreeNAS, Just built my new server and installed TrueNAS Core. But reading through the forums it looks like I should start with Scale.
See my signature for the hardware build.

Use Scenario:
New Server:​
  • Plex Movie Server - currently approx 10TB of movies
  • File Access to music, photos
  • Backups for various Windows machines
  • File Access to person files (Trying to reduce the number and size of drives on personal Windows/Apple machines)
  • No VMs
Given the issues that seem to be plaguing jails (specifically PLEX), I'm wondering if Scale would better fit my needs.

I have been provisioning and testing my drives at this point so I have started configuring the server, So I figure if I'm going to switch, better to do this now.
Note:
Once current functionality is established and existing data is transferred from the old server to the new server, the 'old server' will be updated and will basically be used as a private file access for one user (me!)

Any Advice would be appreciated.

NugentS

MVP
Are you building your own plex jail - or using the IX plex addin?
If building your own then stick to Core (for the moment)
If however you are using the IX addin - then probably switch to Scale as Core addins are not well supported though Core itself is "better" than Scale (by some measures)

linus12

Explorer
Are you building your own plex jail - or using the IX plex addin?
If building your own then stick to Core (for the moment)
If however you are using the IX addin - then probably switch to Scale as Core addins are not well supported though Core itself is "better" than Scale (by some measures)
My goal is to not "roll my own" as much as possible.
I have a few scripts I stole/modified to back up the TrueNAS Configuration as well as control my fan speeds, but beyond that trying to have them setup with the idea my son can take over the maintenance issues in the future.