Installation Question

jadesse

Dabbler
I am trying to install Truenas Core and running into difficulty. I am using an older M.2 2242 SATA3 SSD to install the OS onto. I have made two USB boot drives for the installation. When I boot from the USB boot drive I do get install screen. After it counts down from 10 it does something but then I just get a curser in the upper left corner of the screen. The installation does not go to the console setup screen. Do I need to have a storge drive installed to complete the installation?

Also, this SSD that I am trying to use was pulled out of a Chinese tablet that I was using. The SSD is basically new & has not been used. I replaced it with a 256G SSD. It is possible that there is something wrong with the SSD?

Other Components:
Asus Prime B560M
Core I511400
Corsair DDR4 3600 MHz 16G

Arwen

MVP
Why the 2 USB boot drives for installation?
Or did you try to copy it again after initial failure?

Does your M.2 slot support SATA?

Not all M.2 slots do SATA.

As for why you don't get continued video, sorry, I don't have an answer for that.

jadesse

Dabbler
I made another USB boot drive after the initial failure.

According to the spec sheet the M.2 slot support SATA. Not if there is something in the BIOS that I need to change or not?

Whattteva

Wizard
Why the 2 USB boot drives for installation?
I'm not sure who started this trend... probably some people at Reddit. But for some reason, I see a lot of suggestions to mirror the boot drive cause of... reasons I guess. Majority are doing it just cause, not because they have some enterprise need for uptime. I really don't get it when the restoration from config file (or even from scratch as I've done multiple times) is pretty trivial.

Arwen

MVP
Uh, I asked the original poster. The implication I read is that 2 USB drives were used for the install media. Not sure why that was the case, unless the original poster tried 2 separate USB drives and got the same result.

But, yes, using 2 drives in a Mirror when using USB flash drives likely improves reliability. Some / most USB flash drives are of low quality that they won't last long.