Installation on supermicro restarts

ahisham

Cadet
Hello, I am trying to install Freenas latest 11.1-U4 on an old supermicro storage system that I got from a friend of mine. During the installation, the system suddenly restarts in step 1 of 5 as seen in attached img4.

I am installing the system on a flash usb 16 GB as recommended. I also have attached 1 WD red NAS 4TB to test with, but planning to have 4 of this drive. The system RAM is 8 GB. The controller is AMCC's 3ware 9650SE-16ML which I read on the freebsd site that it is supported but with a driver TWA(4).

Other specs from the installation screens are attached.

My intention is to use ZFS, stripe mirror mode, and provide it as iSCSI to host vmware virtuals.

Could you please help me figuring out what is the problem preventing the installation ?

Attachments

• img1.jpg
    img1.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 272
  • img2.jpg
    img2.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 259
  • img3.jpg
    img3.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 256
  • img4.jpg
    img4.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 272

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
he controller is AMCC's 3ware 9650SE-16ML which I read on the freebsd site that it is supported but with a driver TWA(4).
That's not going to go well. Try removing it.

ahisham

Cadet
Thanks for your reply. I have just tried removing it and do the installation, but the it restarts again.

I thought there may be an issue with a faulty RAM, so I also tried to remove 2 and try again with remaining 2, but it restarts again. The same with the other 2. I have attached a picture for the RAM here.

Other trial was to select UEFI instead of BIOS, but it has no effect. Another trial was to change the usb flash that I intend to install FreeNAS on it by a an old 80GB HDD just for testing, but again it keeps restarting in step 1 of installation.

Attachments

• ram.jpg
    ram.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 257

ahisham

Cadet
Any suggestions about other trials that I can perform to know what exactly is going wrong ?

Is there any logging files to check for further debugging information ?

Thanks,

normanu

Dabbler
I have the same issue here with a old Supermicro without any controller.
Ever found out what it was?